[MCN] How sustainable are Southeast US forests?

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Wed Aug 19 15:01:14 EDT 2015

Drought implicated in slow death of trees in southeast's forests
DUKE UNIVERSITY
Public Release: 19-Aug-2015

Damage suffered by trees during a drought can
reduce their long-term survival for up to a
decade after the drought ends, a new study of
tree mortality in southeastern forests finds. By
identifying the symptoms that mark a tree for
later death and the species that are at highest
risk, the study's findings may give managers and
scientists a way to recognize and reverse
drought-induced declines before it's too late.

Aaron Baird Berdanier and James S. Clark In
press. Multi-year drought-induced morbidity
preceding tree death in Southeastern US forests.
Ecological Applications.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1890/15-0274.1

Multi-year drought-induced morbidity preceding
tree death in Southeastern US forests
Aaron Baird Berdanier1,* and James S. Clark2
1Duke University
2Duke University, Nicholas School of the Environment

Recent forest diebacks combined with threats of
future drought focus attention on the extent to
which tree death is caused by catastrophic events
as opposed to chronic declines in health that
accumulate over years. While recent attention has
focused on large-scale diebacks, there is concern
that increasing drought stress and chronic
morbidity may have pervasive impacts on forest
composition in many regions. Here we use
long-term, whole-stand inventory data from
Southeastern US forests to show that trees
exposed to drought experience multi-year declines
in growth prior to mortality. Following a severe,
multi-year drought, 72% of trees that did not
recover their pre-drought growth rates died
within 10 years. This pattern was mediated by
local moisture availability. As an index of
morbidity prior to death, we calculated the
difference in cumulative growth after drought
relative to surviving conspecifics. The strength
of drought-induced morbidity varied among species
and was correlated with drought tolerance. These
findings support the ability of trees to avoid
death during drought events but indicate shifts
that could occur over decades. Tree mortality
following drought is predictable in these
ecosystems based on growth declines, highlighting
an opportunity to address multi-year
drought-induced morbidity in models, experiments,
and management decisions.

*To whom correspondence should be addressed. E-mail: aaron.berdanier at gmail.com
"Here, we examine the physiological basis of a
recent multiyear widespread die-off of trembling
aspen (Populus tremuloides) across much of
western North America. Š.  We test whether
accumulated hydraulic damage can predict the
probability of tree survival over 2 years. We
find that hydraulic damage persisted and
increased in dying trees over multiple years and
exhibited few signs of repair  Š.  Contrary to
the expectation that surviving trees have
weathered severe drought, the hydraulic
deterioration demonstrated here reveals that
surviving regions of these forests are actually
more vulnerable to future droughts due to
accumulated xylem damage."

WILLIAM R. L. ANDEREGG et al. Drought's legacy:
multiyear hydraulic deterioration underlies
widespread aspen forest die-off and portends
increased future risk. Global Change Biology
(2013) 19, 1188-1196, doi: 10.1111/gcb.12100

.