[MCN] A quick! update on North American forests

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Sun Aug 23 12:24:22 EDT 2015

Anderegg et al cite recent widespread,
drought-driven dieoff in a widespread North
American tree, the aspen. Berdanier and Clark in
press, cite recent widespread. drought-driven
dieoff across several tree species of the
Southeast US. Science just published a scenario
of the boreal forest becoming a savannah, and,
according to a news release I saw somewhere,
another journal had earlier published a scenario,
at boreal latitudes, of aspen expansion following
dieoff of the currently competing conifers.
"We find that hydraulic damage persisted and
increased in dying trees over multiple years and
exhibited few signs of repair  Š.  Contrary to
the expectation that surviving trees have
weathered severe drought, the hydraulic
deterioration demonstrated here reveals that
surviving regions of these forests are actually
more vulnerable to future droughts due to
accumulated xylem damage."

WILLIAM R. L. ANDEREGG et al. Drought's legacy:
multiyear hydraulic deterioration underlies
widespread aspen forest die-off and portends
increased future risk. Global Change Biology
(2013) 19, 1188-1196, doi: 10.1111/gcb.12100

.