[MCN] Memos show Bush 41 team knew climate dangers

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Thu Dec 3 14:31:22 EST 2015

The Hill - 12/03/15 10:33 AM EST

Memos show Bush 41 advisers worried about climate change

By Timothy Cama

Newly released documents from the George H.W. Bush administration
show that his advisers and Cabinet were very worried about the
threats posed by climate change.

The documents, released Wednesday by a non-profit group after a
public records request, show Bush's senior staff considering whether
dramatic action could stop the worst effects of climate change.

"Global climate change is the most far reaching environmental issue
of our time," a 1989 memo from acting assistant Secretary of State
Richard J. Smith said. "If the climate change within the range of
current predictions actually occurs, the consequences for every
nation and every aspect of human activity will be profound."

Writing to Secretary of State James Baker, Smith said, "As you
yourself stated we cannot wait until all the uncertainties have been
resolved before we act to limit greenhouse gas emissions and to
prepare for whatever climate change we are already committed to."

The memos were released as world leaders gather in Paris to negotiate
a global climate change accord.

The National Security Archive also found documents from President
Reagan administration showing his advisers expressing concerns with
big environmental issues of the day.

Specifically, they were pushing for more action to protect the ozone
layer and participate in a global treaty on ozone.

"Many regard this issue as the most important priority on the global
environmental agenda," a top official wrote to Reagan Secretary of
State George Shultz.

Staying out of the treaty, the memo said, "would damage our
international credibility, unleash major domestic criticism, and
probably result in unilateral U.S." action to protect ozone.

"The broad pattern of these changes is clear enough."

George Woodwell.  The Energy Cycle of the Biosphere.
Scientific American, September 1970, p. 36