[MCN] How can Weyerhauser help Montana meet climate goals?

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Sat Dec 5 12:36:09 EST 2015

The Hill "Congress Blog"  December 02, 2015, 06:30 am
Seeing the carbon for the trees
HOME | BLOGS | CONGRESS BLOG
http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/energy-environment/261655-seeing-the-carbon-for-the-trees

By Rita Hite and Jad Daley
Hite is the American Forest Foundation's executive vice president of
the American Tree Farm System, Woodlands, and Policy. Daley is the
director of The Trust for Public Land's Climate Conservation Program.

Excerpt:
"With over half of U.S. forests in private hands, the majority of our
forest carbon sink will be determined by corporate timberland
managers, family forest owners, and other private actors. A new
report from the American Forest Foundation reveals that even in the
rural West, long perceived as a federally controlled landscape, the
most essential public water supply areas and most fire prone forests
have substantial private ownership. We can't mobilize western forests
for climate change without an unprecedented public-private
partnership."

http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/energy-environment/261655-seeing-the-carbon-for-the-trees
"Although it is encouraging to know that Douglas-fir forests will
acclimate to a warmer climate, in some regions, this increased
drought tolerance may come at the expense of a relatively fast growth
rate that is prized by land managers. 'We found that populations
could have good growth and reasonable drought resistance, or
reasonable growth and good drought resistance. You can't have both
maximum growth and maximum drought resistance,' Bansal explains."

http://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/sciencef/scifi179.pdf

"I KEEP six honest serving-men
  (They taught me all I knew);
Their names are What and Why and When