[MCN] REMINDER: Alliance For Justice Thursday, January 14th 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. in Helena, MT

Ross Prosperi ross at mtvoters.org
Mon Dec 21 16:00:29 EST 2015

[cid:image002.png at 01D13BF8.037B5E80]Montana Nonprofit Community,

We have limited seating. Sign up today!

Montana Conservation Voters Education Fund, League of Women Voters of Montana, Montana Human Rights Network, Montana Wilderness Association, Northern Plains Resource Council, Planned Parenthood of Montana, and Western Native Voice are hosting this program in conjunction with Alliance For Justice to inform people how they can expand their participation in our democratic process and stop sitting on the sidelines of civic engagement - while complying with IRS, lobbying and election laws and rules that govern non-profits.

Click here to register for the Alliance For Justice Workshop on Thursday, January 14th from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the Montana Association of Counties, 2715 Skyway Drive, Suite A, Helena, MT 59602.<http://action.lcv.org/site/Calendar?id=100441&view=Detail>

Many community organizations have heightened interest in making an impact on public officials - state legislators, county commissioners, the Governor, our Congressional delegation and State Land Board officials. There are many legally-permissible activities that can be undertaken by non-profit organizations to achieve these ends. Voter education and registration programs, candidate forums and questionnaires, list use, briefing materials and voter registration all serve to uplift the importance of issues and our shared Montana values. But often, groups are unfamiliar with these activities and the associated legal boundaries, leading them to paralysis, confusion, or actions that threaten their tax status. This workshop provides tools for greater civic engagement and voter participation - to expand the ranks of Montanans who are active in government.

Topics to be covered: During this one-day workshop for non-profit leaders, staff, volunteers and managers, our attorney trainers will teach participants the law and rules regarding voter registration, get out the vote activities, lobbying, issue ads, candidate forums, voter guides and topics related to civic engagement so that you can answer questions such as:

*        What is lobbying? How much lobbying can our organization do? What do we have to report?

*        Can we publish a voter guide or candidate comparison

*        What do the rules say about candidate forums?

*        Can we use legislative scorecards and legislative reports?

*        What are the latest guidelines on voter registration drives and get out the vote activities?

*        Issue ads and advocacy before an election - what's allowed, what isn't?

*        What are the Montana rules regarding working on ballot measures and for candidates?
Attached is the agenda for the workshop.

Thanks,
Ross

.

Ross Prosperi<mailto:ross at mtvoters.org>, Field Director
Montana Conservation Voters<http://www.mtvoters.org/>
PO Box 9335 - Missoula, MT 59807
MCV Education Fund<http://www.mtvotersedfund.org/>
PO Box 853 - Billings, MT 59103
Phone: 406-542-1055 - Cell: 406-880-7346
Donate<https://www.mtvoters.org/civicrm/contribute/transact?reset=1&id=16> - Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/mtvoters> - Twitter<http://www.twitter.com/mtvoters>

For Montana's air, land, water and
outdoor heritage - who we elect matters!