[MCN] Not climate alone: Bumblebees take beating on multiple fronts

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Fri Jul 10 13:27:01 EDT 2015

"We're hitting these animals with everything," he
says. "There's no way you can nail a bee with
neonicotinoids, invasive pathogens, and climate
change and come out with a happy bee."

The loss of bee species could carry consequences
for ecosystems and people. For instance, "plants
that like their pollinators to be pretty loyal"
could see declines in reproduction, says
ecologist Laura Burkle of Montana State
University, Bozeman. And given that wild bees
help pollinate many crops, "we play with these
things at our peril," Kerr says. "The human
enterprise is the top floor in a really big
scaffold. What we're doing is reaching out and
knocking out the supports."
-----------------------------------
Bumblebees being crushed by climate change
By Cally Carswell 9 July 2015
http://news.sciencemag.org/biology/2015/07/bumblebees-being-crushed-climate-change
Science| DOI: 10.1126/science.aac8824

As the climate changes, plants and animals are on
the move. So far, many are redistributing in a
similar pattern: As habitat that was once too
cold warms up, species are expanding their ranges
toward the poles, whereas boundaries closer to
the equator have remained more static.

Bumblebees, however, appear to be a disturbing
exception, according to a study in Science today.
A comprehensive look at dozens of species, it
finds that many North American and European
bumblebees are failing to "track" warming by
colonizing new habitats north of their historic
range. Simultaneously, they are disappearing from
the southern portions of their range.

"Climate change is crushing [bumblebee] species
in a vice," says ecologist Jeremy Kerr of the
University of Ottawa in Canada, the study's lead
author. The findings underscore the importance of
conserving the habitat the insects currently
persist in, says Rich Hatfield, a biologist with
the Xerces Society for Insect Conservation in
Portland, Oregon, who was not involved in the
study. Where bumblebees vanish, the wild plants
and crops they pollinate could also suffer.

To see how global climate change is affecting the
bees, the researchers amassed a data set
consisting of some 423,000 observations, dating
back to 1901, of 67 bumblebee species in North
America and Europe. Then they mapped large-scale
changes in the species' territories and in their
"thermal ranges"-the warmest and coolest places
the bees live. They also built statistical models
to test whether any range shifts were best
explained by climate change, or whether two other
factors-changes in land cover and the use of
pesticides such as neonicotinoids, which have
been implicated in smaller-scale bee
declines-also played a key role.

Overall, they found that some bumblebees have
retreated as many as 300 kilometers from the
southern edge of their historic ranges since
1974. The rusty patched bumblebee (Bombus
affinis), for instance, has disappeared from
parts of the southeastern United States. Southern
species are also retreating to higher elevations,
shifting upward by an average of about 300 meters
over the same time period. Meanwhile, few species
have expanded their northern territories. And it
turned out that climate change was the only
factor that had a meaningful impact on the
large-scale range shifts. (Data on pesticide use
were available only in the United States,
however, and the study did not examine whether
populations were growing or shrinking.)

One clue to the importance of climate: Bumblebee
ranges began shrinking "even before the
neonicotinoid pesticides came into play in the
1980s," says ecologist and coauthor Alana Pindar,
a postdoctoral fellow at the University of Guelph
in Canada. She says the retreat from southern
territories is "a huge loss for bumblebee
distributions" and happened surprisingly quickly.
The researchers believe the retreat-and the move
to higher elevations-may reflect the fact that
bumblebees evolved in cooler climates than many
other insects that haven't yet lost ground, and
so are especially sensitive to warming
temperatures.

More mysterious is their failure to push north.
"What we can infer is that temperature in the
northern latitudes is not what's limiting their
spread," says Ignasi Bartomeus, a researcher at
Spain's Estación Biológica de Doñana in Seville,
who was not involved in the study. Differences in
daylight or food could hamper a march north, or
bumblebee populations may simply be too
slow-growing to quickly expand.
Many bumblebees form small colonies, Kerr
explains, limiting their ability to spread
quickly. In contrast, species with high
population growth rates are "more likely to be
able to establish a new colony that represents a
measurable difference in geographic range." He
notes that one outlier in the study, the
buff-tailed bumblebee (Bombus terrestris), one of
Europe's most common species, is known for its
reproductive success and has moved north. The
species "is kind of like the dandelion of the
bumblebee world," he says.

So far, says Bartomeus, the most common bumblebee
species seem to be the most resilient. But "we
have a lot of losers," he cautions, including
species that have specialized habitat
requirements. And climate change could further
strain species already struggling with dwindling
habitat and other pressures, Kerr says. "We're
hitting these animals with everything," he says.
"There's no way you can nail a bee with
neonicotinoids, invasive pathogens, and climate
change and come out with a happy bee."

The loss of bee species could carry consequences
for ecosystems and people. For instance, "plants
that like their pollinators to be pretty loyal"
could see declines in reproduction, says
ecologist Laura Burkle of Montana State
University, Bozeman. And given that wild bees
help pollinate many crops, "we play with these
things at our peril," Kerr says. "The human
enterprise is the top floor in a really big
scaffold. What we're doing is reaching out and
knocking out the supports."

"Even doubling our current rate of
decarbonisation, would still lead to emissions
consistent with 6 degrees of warming by the end
of the century. To give ourselves a more than 50%
chance of avoiding 2 degrees will require a
six-fold improvement in our rate of
decarbonisation."

Leo Johnson
Partner, Sustainability and Climate Change, PricewaterhouseCoopers
"Too late for two degrees? Low carbon economy index" November 2012
<<https://www.thepmr.org/system/files/documents/Low%20Carbon%20Economy%20Index%202012.pdf>>
"Š the serious meaning in a concept lies in the
difference it will make to someone if it is true."

William James (1842 -1910)
Pragmatism. Meridian Books, 1955