[MCN] Excerpts: A view of US economics from Jimmy Carter to today

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Sat Jul 11 18:15:46 EDT 2015

"After what happened to Carter, no American
politician today is brave enough to ask for
limits   ....  President Carter is remembered as
a weak man-yet no politician now (outside of
perhaps Ron Paul) has the guts to make a
similarly bold speech during our current economic
crisis."

Caddell thought Americans would be receptive to a
speech that, instead of appealing to mom, apple
pie, and the flag, laid out the nation's problems
honestly and bluntly.

Many within the administration thought Caddell
had gone mad and tried to keep his ideas from the
president. But Carter's thinking paralleled
Caddell's.

Carter felt the country was on an unsustainable
course, and only through lower expectations,
conservation, and sacrifice could the U.S.
survive as a free nation-or at least "free" as
Carter defined the term in his speech:

"We are at a turning point of our history. There
are two paths to choose. One is a path I've
warned about tonight, the path that leads to
fragmentation and self-interest. Down that road
lies a mistaken idea of freedom, the right to
grasp for ourselves some advantage over others. Š
All the traditions of our past, all the lessons
of our heritage, all the promises of our future
point to another path, the path of common purpose
and the restoration of American values. That path
leads to the true freedom for our nation and
ourselves."

This was not the speech of some America-hating
leftist. Carter did not try to tear down the
country, he simply wanted it to come together and
direct itself toward a goal other than unlimited
growth or unending progress.

Mr. Conservative himself, Barry Goldwater, said
much the same thing when he accepted the
Republican nomination in 1964: "There is a
virtual despair among the many that look beyond
material success for the inner meaning of their
lives." But just as Goldwater's words were of no
help in the year of Lyndon Johnson's landslide,
Carter's words did not prevent his defeat in 1980.

The speech was initially well received, and
Carter's poll numbers went up. But all that
goodwill was destroyed a few days later when
Carter demanded the resignation of his entire
cabinet.

Reagan never repudiated his four votes for
Franklin Roosevelt and soon began gathering
elements of the traditional New Deal coalition
into his fold-neoconservatives; socially
conservative Democrats of the Midwest, urban
Catholic Northeast, and the Protestant South; and
idealistic Kennedy Democrats who could not
stomach the notion that a country that put a man
on the moon should turn down the thermostat.

After what happened to Carter, no American
politician today is brave enough to ask for
limits. Bush I said that our way of life is
non-negotiable. Bush II told Americans to go
shopping after 9/11. President Obama says
Americans "will not apologize for our way of
life." President Carter is remembered as a weak
man-yet no politician now (outside of perhaps Ron
Paul) has the guts to make a similarly bold
speech during our current economic crisis.

Full text here:
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/carter-conservatism/

"Consumer expectations of ever-higher living
standards were fuelled by more lenient and
readily available bank lending, the subsequent
booms in construction and property market
sectors, .... Social status and identity became
closely associated with consumption, in
particular with the concept of luxury.
Identifying oneself with the good life meant
being able to live beyond traditional
understandings of basic needs. Debt was the price
one paid for the joys of being part of a
hedonistic consumer culture."

Kenneth Dyson.The Morality of Debt.
Foreign Affairs. May 3, 2015

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/2015-05-03/morality-debt

"Š the serious meaning in a concept lies in the
difference it will make to someone if it is true."

William James (1842 -1910)
Pragmatism. Meridian Books, 1955