[MCN] Gentrification as a cost of growth-policy

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Fri Jul 17 14:51:05 EDT 2015

Adam Hudson, Truthout: "Richmond, California, is creeping toward
gentrification: Rich investors and developers are starting to buy up
properties as the community grapples with how best to prevent
longtime renters from being forced out. The city is a key example of
the early stages of gentrification, often ignored by the media."

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/31926-early-stage-gentrification-richmond-california-residents-push-back

"But we need to be clear, the large-scale predicament and the
emergent socio-economic stresses that we are beginning to experience
has very little to with fraud, corruption and the greed of a tiny
few. It has a lot to do with our human civilization running into
limits."
http://www.resilience.org/stories/2014-03-25/anger-complicity-in-a-time-of-limits
"Contrary to popular belief, The Limits to Growth scenarios by the
team of analysts from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology did
not predict world collapse by the end of the 20th century. This paper
focuses on a comparison of recently collated historical data for
1970-2000 with scenarios presented in the Limits to Growth. The
analysis shows that 30 years of historical data compare favorably
with key features of a business-as-usual scenario called the
'standard run' scenario, which results in collapse of the global
system midway through the 21st century."

Graham M. Turner. A comparison of The Limits to Growth with 30 years
of reality.
Global Environmental Change 18 (2008) 397- 411
"Consumer expectations of ever-higher living standards were fuelled
by more lenient and readily available bank lending, the subsequent
booms in construction and property market sectors, .... Social status
and identity became closely associated with consumption, in
particular with the concept of luxury. Identifying oneself with the
good life meant being able to live beyond traditional understandings
of basic needs. Debt was the price one paid for the joys of being
part of a hedonistic consumer culture."

Kenneth Dyson.The Morality of Debt.
Foreign Affairs. May 3, 2015
https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/2015-05-03/morality-debt