[MCN] Saturday: Join the Fossil Free Float to Protect the Clark Fork from Coal

Nick Engelfried nicke.activism at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 20:43:08 EDT 2015

To transport coal from proposed new Montana mines like the Otter Creek Mine
to the West Coast, coal trains would travel along the Clark Fork River for
miles.  Increased coal train traffic means a greater risk of a train
carrying toxic coal derailing into the river.  Even more worrying, coal
dust accumulation on the railroad raises the risk of derailment for all
types of trains, including those carrying crude oil and harmful chemicals.

We can't allow a coal or oil spill in the Clark Fork River.  On Saturday,
please join Blue Skies Campaign and 350-Missoula for a "Fossil Free Float"
to draw attention to the threats posed to our river by coal trains.  Bring
a raft, tube, or other flotation device and join us for a fun action with a
serious message.

We'll meet at 12:30pm on the 25th in the parking lot outside the MonTECH
building at 1121 East Broadway (just west of the Eastgate Shopping
Center).  From there we will carpool to a put-in site up the Clark Fork
River, and float down to the Madison Street bridge.  We'll have signs and
banners to spread our message that we need to keep the Clark Fork
fossil-free.

Find out more here: facebook.com/events/849794545099216.  Hope to see you
there!

Nick Engelfried
Blue Skies Campaign