[MCN] The advantage of being little

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Sun Jun 28 10:40:19 EDT 2015

"The predictors of risk were significantly
different for smaller and larger species, with
the importance of many predictors changing
markedly at a body size of 3 kg. Species smaller
than this fit the firing-line model: Š. Larger
species, however, face multiple jeopardy: Š."

"Perhaps the most obvious proposed risk factor
for extinction is large body size."

Davies, et al. Phylogenetic trees and mammalian
biodiversity. Proceedings of the National Academy
of Sciences, Aug. 12, 2008.

"Of more than 150 genera of megafauna -- that is,
animals weighing more than 44 kilograms (97
pounds) -- living on Earth 50,000 years ago, at
least 97 were extinct by 10,000 years ago.  If
you look at localized extinctions instead of
global extinctions, 121 genera disappeared from
at least one continent."

"'One thing we can do, as conservationists, is to
create and connect natural areas' to allow
animals to move around, he added."

CLIMATE CHANGE PLUS HUMAN PRESSURE CAUSED
LARGE MAMMAL EXTINCTIONS IN LATE PLEISTOCENE
NASA Earth Observatory -- MEDIA ALERT
September 30, 2004
<http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/MediaAlerts/2004/2004093017689.html>
===================

"Here we discuss the capacity of conservation
organizations to adapt to changing environmental
conditions, focusing primarily on public agencies
and nonprofits active in land protection and
management in the US. After first reviewing how
these organizations anticipate and detect impacts
affecting target species and ecosystems, we then
discuss whether they are sufficiently flexible to
prepare and respond by re-allocating funding,
staff, or other resources. We raise new
hypotheses about how the configuration of
different organizations enables them to protect
particular conservation targets and manage for
particular biophysical changes that require
coordinated management actions over different
spatial and temporal scales. Finally, we provide
a discussion resource to help conservation
organizations assess their capacity to adapt."

Paul R. Armsworth et al. Are conservation
organizations configured for effective adaptation
to global change? Frontiers in  Ecology and
Environment 2015 doi:10.1890/130352

"In order to jointly provide desired levels of
urban land, food production, and ecosystem
service and species habitat provision, the global
society will have to become much more strategic
in its allocation of intensively managed land
uses."

Erik Nelson, Heather Sander et al. Projecting
Global Land-Use Change and Its Effect on
Ecosystem Service Provision and Biodiversity.
PloSONE December 15, 2010.
<<http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0014327>>