[MCN] On Mars, robot Curiosity goes "bumping toward Missoula"

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Tue Jun 30 19:21:42 EDT 2015

Martian Chronicles is a blog associated with the American Geophysical Union
Sol 1030: Bumping to Missoula
http://blogs.agu.org/martianchronicles/2015/06/30/sol-1030-bumping-to-missoula/

"Curiosity is still investigating the contact
between the Pahrump and Stimson units.  Over the
weekend, Curiosity acquired MAHLI images on a
coarse-grained rock named "Big Arm" (above).  The
goal today is to characterize some of the veins
that occur above and below the contact, and then
bump towards a target named "Missoula" to assess
the contact at that location.

"The plan today includes ChemCam observations of
vein targets named "Lemhi" and "Lowary"
corresponding to high and low targets above and
below the contact.  We will also acquire Mastcam
images of the vein targets using all of the
camera filters.  After a short drive to
reposition the rover in front of "Missoula,"
we'll take some Navcam and Mastcam images to
prepare for contact science tomorrow.  The plan
also includes a Navcam cloud movie to monitor the
atmosphere.  I was the GSTL today and Ken
Herkenhoff was the SOWG Chair, so it was a busy
day of rover operations here at the USGS!

-Lauren is a Research Geologist at the USGS
Astrogeology Science Center and a member of MSL
science team.
Dates of planned rover activities described in
these reports are subject to change due to a
variety of factors related to the Martian
environment, communication relays and rover
status.
"
"The resulting flood calendar spans the last ca
270 years (AD 1740-AD 2007). Š.. Our record thus
suggests climate warming is favouring the
occurrence of high magnitude torrential flood
events in high-altitude catchments."

B. Wilhelm et al. Does global warming favour the
occurrence of extreme floods in European Alps?
First evidences from a NW Alps proglacial lake
sediment record. Climatic Change, online 10
December 2011
DOI 10.1007/s10584-011-0376-2