[MCN] Oops Re: Keeping a river together

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Sun Nov 8 11:48:09 EST 2015

My apologies: In excerpting the article named
below, I forgot to add the concluding paragraph:

"Despite the lack of evidence of mass movement,
our result suggested a few immigrants from the
main stem (i.e., juvenile white-spotted charr,
sculpin and a few relatively large Dolly Varden).
Because more than 100 small tributaries exist in
the Shiisorapuchi River (Koizumi 2011), only a
few individuals escaping to each tributary should
accumulate to a great number enough to
re-colonise main stem habitats even if fishes in
the main stem were extirpated. Multiple refuges
at different spatial scales should increase
resistance and Ž or	resilience of fish
populations (Sedell et al. 1990; Pearsons et al.
1992). Thus, the roles of tributaries as refuges
would deserve further attention."

Ecology of Freshwater Fish 2012: 21: 165-167
Do small tributaries function as refuges from
floods? A test in a salmonid-dominated
mountainous river
Itsuro Koizumi et al