[MCN] Speak up for farmland in Missoula County

Neva Hassanein hassaneinneva40 at montana.com
Mon Nov 30 11:05:43 EST 2015

Friends, neighbors, and colleagues,

Right now, Missoula County Commissioners have an extremely rare opportunity
to help safeguard our agricultural heritage and long-term food security.
They are considering recommendations made by the Planning Board for
lessening the impacts that proposed subdivisions have on agriculture
(attached).  The result of many years of public dialogue and research, this
proposal adds a much-needed tool to the land protection toolbox.

Please join other conservationists, landowners, and community food advocates
in supporting this proposal.  The BCC is taking comment at
Caps at co.missoula.mt.us and at the public hearing on December 8, 6 PM, 140 W.
Pine.  Your voice is critical right now!

Here's why:

Under State law, when a developer proposes a subdivision, local governments
must look at how it might impact things like public safety, and documented
impacts must be addressed.  One factor to be considered and mitigated is the
impact on agriculture‹a requirement reinforced by strong language in
Montana¹s Constitution.  Over the years, though, developers and local
government have dismissed these impacts as incremental.

Well, incremental losses add up.  Limited and finite, fertile soils make up
less than 8% of Missoula County, but many of those lands are already
developed.  Between 1986 and 2008, nearly 29,000 acres of productive land
was converted to non-agricultural use‹an average of 1,400 acres a year.
Even during the recent slowdown, over 2,000 acres was subdivided‹45% on
agricultural land‹between 2007 and 2014.  Flat, well drained, and near the
City, our best soils are the most threatened.

Montana requires protection at the point of subdivision because our culture
is rooted in working farms and ranches.  So is our future.  Well-managed
lands preserve water quality and wildlife habitat.  Also, many producers are
seizing economic opportunities from increased consumer demand for local
foods.  The working countryside enhances quality of life, fuels our economy
with cultural amenities, and makes this a great place to live.  Most
importantly, in the face of climate change, building a resilient, regional
food system is simply wise.  And that system is fundamentally dependent on
the soil.  Whatever the future brings, we will need and want agriculture.

Even when decision makers have wanted to protect agriculture, there has been
no method to effectively evaluate and lessen the impacts of subdivisions, as
required by law.  The Planning Board¹s recent recommendations fill this
critical gap.  Specifically, if a proposed subdivision will have an adverse
impact on agriculture‹including both the activities of agriculture and
important soils‹the developer can choose one of four mitigation options,
including:
1. Cluster housing on the poorest quality soils with a protected
agricultural lot incorporated into the design.

2.  Permanently protect land that is equal in quality and quantity to the
agricultural land developed.  For every acre lost, an acre will be saved on
or off site.

3.  Pay a mitigation fee that would go into a fund used only to permanently
protect agricultural land.

4.  Offer other creative ideas to meet mitigation goals.

This balanced approach encourages good subdivision design.  It provides
predictability and flexibility for landowners and developers when
subdividing land.

Recently, open space funding has provided valuable incentives to landowners
to conserve land voluntarily.  Yet, these programs do nothing to protect
this important resource at the point of subdivision.  The proposed
regulations complement and create additional funds for voluntary
conservation through fees and off-site mitigation (e.g., when one landowner
voluntarily sells development rights so another can build elsewhere).  After
voluntary approaches are exhausted, the subdivision stage is the last chance
to save some ground.

Join me in calling on  Commissioners Curtiss, Rye, and Rowley to show the
leadership and vision citizens expect.

The BCC is taking comment at Caps at co.missoula.mt.us and the public hearing
on December 8, 6 PM, 140 W. Pine.

Relevant information available at:

http://www.missoulacounty.us/government/departments-a-e/community-and-planni
ng-services/projects/subdivision-regs-rewrite/agriculture

http://missoulacfac.org/speakup4farms.html