[MCN] I have the pdf: Much of Montana, too, was once under glaciers

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Tue Oct 27 13:25:53 EDT 2015

Greenland Ice: Drilling right down to the ground below, a
once-forested Southern Greenland

Abstract of the journal article: bold added

"It is difficult to obtain fossil data from the 10% of Earth's
terrestrial surface that is covered by thick glaciers and ice sheets,
and hence, knowledge of the paleoenvironments of these regions has
remained limited. We show that DNA and amino acids from buried
organisms can be recovered from the basal sections of deep ice cores,
enabling reconstructions of past flora and fauna. We show that
high-altitude southern Greenland, currently lying below more than 2
kilometers of ice, was inhabited by a diverse array of conifer trees
and insects within the past million years. The results provide direct
evidence in support of a forested southern Greenland and suggest that
many deep ice cores may contain genetic records of paleoenvironments
in their basal sections."

"The molecule of carbon dioxide has strong absorption bonds,
particularly in the infrared region of the spectrum at wavelengths of
from 12 to 18 microns. This is the spectral region where most of the
thermal energy radiating from earth to space is concentrated. By
increasing the absorption of this radiation ... the carbon dioxide
reduces the amount of heat energy lost by earth to outer space."

Singer, Fred S. "Human Energy Production as a process in the biosphere."
Scientific American, September 1970.
"A surprising result is the high proportion of species responding to
recent, relatively mild climate change (global average warming of 0.6
C)."

Camille Parmesan. "Ecological and Evolutionary Responses to Recent
Climate Change." Annual Review of Ecol. Evol. & Systematics  2006.
37:637-69
"This paper is designed to explore the downside for fossil fuel
producers and understand why the reality of our future may differ
from the scenarios published by the energy industry."

<<http://www.carbontracker.org/report/lost_in_transition/>>