[MCN] Brief book review: Oh, what a punchline

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Fri Oct 30 14:22:44 EDT 2015

Some have been excoriating National Geographic
for the space, ink and photography it's been
giving to the amount of climate change caused by
combustion of coal, oil and gas.  Among other
such sins, Nat'l Geo published a book, Six
Degrees, by Mark Lynas.

It's been a while, but I remember Six Degrees as
a pretty dry read, mostly matter of fact,
describing what scientific sleuths have found out
about the consequences of increasingly hotter
times. Some of this is now everyday stuff, with
increasingly widespread coverage of the
necessity, even considerable urgency, of avoiding
a situation where we push the worldwide average
heat to 2 degrees Celsius -- about 3.5 degrees
Fahrenheit -- hotter than it was in
pre-industrial times.

Chapter by chapter, Lynas takes the analysis
further than the usual media fare. He lays out
the tedious detail of possible and plausible
outcomes of getting to 2C, 3C, 4C, 5C, and C. His
punchy punchline is that just getting to 2 could
lock us in to 6.

After he's taken readers through six chapters of
dry description, here's his paragraph-long
punchline:

"If  Š   we cross the 'tipping point' of
Amazonian collapse and soil carbon release that
lies somewhere above two degrees, then another
250 ppm of CO2 would pour into the atmosphere,
yielding another 1.5C (2.7F) of warming and
taking us straight into the four-degree world.
Once we arrive there, the accelerated release of
carbon and methane from thawing Siberian
permafrost will send even more greenhouse gas
into the atmosphere, driving yet more warming,
and perhaps pushing us on into the five-degree
world. At this level of warming,   Š   organic
methane hydrate release becomes a serious
possibility, catapulting us into the ultimate
mass extinction apocalypse of six degrees. The
lesson is as clear as it is daunting: If we are
to be confident about saving humanity and the
planet from the worst mass extinction of all
time, worse even than that at the end of the
Permian, we must stop at two degrees."

Mark Lynas. Six Degrees. 2008. National
Geographic Society by arrangement with
HarperCollins. P.276