[MCN] Subdivision & climate: People still moving into fire's way

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Thu Sep 10 16:28:47 EDT 2015

USDA Office of Communications. Sept. 10, 2015

Release No. 0250.15
Contact:
Office of Communications (202)720-4623

As Wildfires Continue to Burn, New Maps Shows
Expansion of Wildland-Urban Interface

Growth in development raises costs and danger of fighting wildfires,
highlights need for funding fix
To download a copy of this publication, visit the
Northern Research Station's website.
http://www.nrs.fs.fed.us/pubs/48642

"The expanding wildland urban interface is a
critical issue for wildland firefighting and for
the conservation of our forests," said Robert
Bonnie.

WASHINGTON, Sept. 10, 2015 - A new U.S. Forest
Service report shows the continued expansion of
housing development near forests, an area
referred to as the Wildland-Urban Interface
(WUI), with direct implications for the cost of
wildfire fighting. Increasing densities of people
and infrastructure in the WUI makes wildfire
management more complex and requires more
firefighting assets to ensure an appropriate,
safe and effective response, which in turn drives
up the cost of fighting wildfires. Expansion of
the WUI has direct implications for wildfire
management as more of the Forest Service's
resources are spent each year to provide the
firefighters, aircraft and other assets necessary
to protect lives, property and natural resources
in the wildland urban interface regions. In
addition, overall fire seasons have grown longer,
and the frequency, size and severity of wildland
fires has increased.

In recent decades, research has shown a steady
increase in the area that is part of the WUI, as
documented and visually depicted in a new
publication titled, "The 2010 Wildland-Urban
Interface of the Conterminous United States." The
percent of homes in the WUI increased by over
five percent between 2000 and 2010 (latest data
available). As of 2010, the WUI of the lower 48
states includes about 44 million houses,
equivalent to one in every three houses in the
country, with the highest concentrations of
houses in the WUI in California, Texas and
Florida. The publication includes new,
high-resolution maps showing housing density,
land ownership, land cover and wildland
vegetation cover for each state.

"The expanding wildland urban interface is a
critical issue for wildland firefighting and for
the conservation of our forests," said Robert
Bonnie. "More people, homes, and infrastructure
are at risk than ever before. As the WUI grows,
our fire fighters must commit greater resources
to protect homes and property which dramatically
increases the cost of fire suppression."

The cost of wildfire suppression reached a record
$243 in a one week period during the height of
suppression activity in late August. In 2015, 52%
of the Forest Service budget was set aside for
fire suppression, up from 16% in 1995. By
September 2015, the Forest Service had already
exceeded the funding set aside for fire
suppression and was forced to borrow funds meant
for other Forest Service activities. The
bipartisan Wildfire Disaster Funding Act, already
introduced in the House and Senate, is an
important step forward in addressing the funding
problems. The proposed legislation, which mirrors
a similar proposal in President Obama's Fiscal
Year 2016 Budget, would provide a fiscally
responsible mechanism to treat wildfires more
like other natural disasters, end "fire
transfers" and partially replenish the ability to
restore resilient forests and protect against
future fire outbreaks.

While WUI expansion has increased the likelihood
that wildfire will threaten structures and people
and increase the number of people affected by
wildfire, not all WUI acres are at high risk of
wildfire or the only management concern.
Increased risk of invasive species and disruption
of wildlife and ecosystem processes often
accompany human habitation, making the WUI maps
an important guide in conservation work.

To download a copy of this publication, visit the
Northern Research Station's website.

The mission of the Forest Service, part of the
U.S. Department of Agriculture, is to sustain the
health, diversity, and productivity of the
Nation's forests and grasslands to meet the needs
of present and future generations. The agency
manages 193 million acres of public land,
provides assistance to state and private
landowners, and maintains the largest forestry
research organization in the world. Public lands
the Forest Service manages contribute more than
$13 billion to the economy each year through
visitor spending alone. Those same lands provide
20 percent of the Nation's clean water supply, a
value estimated at $7.2 billion per year. The
agency has either a direct or indirect role in
stewardship of about 80 percent of the 850
million forested acres within the U.S., of which
100 million acres are urban forests where most
Americans live.
#
--
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Behind complexity, there is always simplicity to

--
Behind complexity, there is always simplicity to
be revealed. Inside simplicity, there is always
complexity to be discovered."
-Gang Yu
"Š energy consumption in 1960 was about half what
it is now Š. Surely we had a civilized country
then, with roads, electricity, entertainment, and
so on. Š. Have we, by doubling our energy