[MCN] Yellowstone fish kill a glimpse into future of Montana rivers

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Fri Aug 26 09:51:30 EDT 2016

The Massive Yellowstone Fish Die-Off: A Glimpse Into Our Climate Future?
This unprecedented kill reveals why we need to keep rivers resilient
<<http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/yellowstone-fish-die-off-glimpse-climate-future-180960259/?>>
In the past few weeks, thousands of fish have gone belly-up. (Sarah
Jane Keller)
By Sarah Jane Keller
smithsonian.com
August 25, 2016 4:35PM

News of the whitefish kill didn't surprise Clint Muhlfeld, a U.S.
Geological Survey aquatic ecologist and University of Montana
researcher who studies climate change impacts on cold-water
ecosystems. "We're seeing severe impacts on Montana's waters, mainly
increases in stream temperatures and decreases in flows. These
climate-induced changes are likely going to begin to interact with
existing stressors such as habitat loss and invasive species," he
says. "The climate is warming, and there are going to be consequences
for our freshwater ecosystems."

Many Livingston residents are thinking along similar lines. "Climate
change is the big gorilla in the room," said Sweetwater Fly Shop
owner Dan Gigone, who found himself rebooking clients and
anticipating cancellations last weekend in the wake of the die-off.
"I'm not a biologist, but my guess is that water temperatures played
a big role in this. And if we continue to have lower snowpack in the
winter and warmer temperatures in the summer these kinds of things
are going to become more common."

Read more:
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/yellowstone-fish-die-off-glimpse-climate-future-180960259/#6QVWCOzGdEiDKjee.99

--
++++++++++++++++++
The Economist        21 July 2001

Big Scary Monsters
Mortgage-lending agencies in America

4 excerpts

"The driving force behind what little economic growth is now taking
place in the world is, you might argue, America's housing market."

"Yet, says John Lonski, an economist at Moody's, a credit-rating
agency, the economy relies too much on a single sector, housing, to
avoid recession."

"Indeed, there may right now [2001] be the makings of a bubble in
house prices."

"Perhaps housing loans should be subsidised, particularly for the
poor, because home ownership is desirable.  Even if true, this only
partly gets Fannie and Freddie off the hook.  For their ambitions
focus ever more on moving upmarket.  They are lobbying for the cap on
mortgages that they can offer to rise, from $275,000 to $412,000 - to
help the 'ill-housed wealthy', perhaps, murmurs one analyst."