[MCN] Low flow in rivers, streams as new climate unfolds

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Tue Feb 2 09:40:43 EST 2016

How Can We Better Understand Low River Flows as Climate Changes?
photo caption: A dead fish on the dry bed of the
Rio Grande in Albuquerque, N.M., emphasizes the
ecological risks posed by low river flows.
Credit: Dagmar Llewellyn

ecosystems, economies, and the communities who
depend on them. Scientists need to determine how
climate change alters this process, but to do so,
they'll have to abandon a long-held assumption.

https://eos.org/opinions/how-can-we-better-understand-low-river-flows-as-climate-changes
"Although we are only at an early stage in the
projected trends of global warming,
ecological responses to recent climate change are already clearly visible."

Walther et al, "Ecological responses to recent climate change."
Nature, March 28, 2002
"Š. the earth's atmosphere is so thoroughly mixed
and so rapidly recycled through the biosphere
that the next breath you inhale will contain
atoms exhaled by Jesus at Gethsemane and Adolf
Hitler at Munich."

Preston Cloud and Aharon Gibor.   "The Oxygen Cycle."
Scientific American, September 1970