[MCN] Variations on the "Think globally, act locally" theme

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Tue Feb 23 16:25:16 EST 2016

"Ignorance of remote causes disposeth men to attribute all events to
the causes immediate and instrumental: for these are all the causes
they perceive."

Attributed  to Thomas Hobbes
"Making connections is the essence of scientific progress."

Chris Quigg, "Aesthetic Science,"
Scientific American, April 1999
------------------------------------
"The structural relations within and between human societies and
their environments form the most complex systems known to science."

Charles D. Laughlin and Ivan Brady, editors,
Extinction and Survival in Human Populations
Columbia University Press, 1978
"We are living on the surface of this planet, with only the resources
of this planet, with the fertility of its soil, with its mineral
wealth, and with its climate and atmosphere. It has always been the
task of mankind to find the right answer to the problem these
conditions set us, and even today we cannot think that we have found
a sufficient answer."

Alfred Adler (1870 -1937), quoted in The Individual Psychology of Alfred Adler,
Heinz L. Ansbacher and Rowena R. Ansbacker, editors
Harper Torchbooks, Harper & Row Publishers, 1956
"Teleconnections can be defined as linkages between climate anomalies
at some distance from each other. The large distances in space and
the differences in timing between these anomalous events make it
difficult for one to believe that one event (El Nino or La Nina)
could possibly have influence on the other (e.g. drought in southern
Africa or hurricanes in the tropical Atlantic). Nevertheless,
physical and statistical research has shown that such linkages do
exist."

Michael Glantz. Currents of Change : Impacts of El Nino and La Nina
on Climate and Society. Cambridge University Press, 2001
"We linked 25,000 Animalia species threat records from the
International Union for Conservation of Nature Red List to more than
15,000 commodities produced in 187 countries and evaluated more than
5 billion supply chains in terms of their biodiversity impacts.
Excluding invasive species, we found that 30% of global species
threats are due to international trade. In many developed countries,
the consumption of imported coffee, tea, sugar, textiles, fish and
other manufactured items causes a biodiversity footprint that is
larger abroad than at home."

M. Lenzen, D. Moran, K. Kanemoto, B. Foran, L. Lobefaro & A.
Geschke.International trade drives biodiversity threats in developing
nations. Nature  7 June 2012 doi:10.1038/nature11145