[MCN] 13th Annual Big Sky Documentary Film Festival (Feb. 19-28), Day 6!

Jim Parker westridgecreative at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 00:03:17 EST 2016

*Welcome back to one of Missoula’s signature events of the year!//*

*//*

*/Today’s Update: Wednesday February 24, 2016/*

**

*13^th Annual Big Sky Documentary Film Festival /(Feb. 19-28)/*

**

*For the full schedule please go to:*

http://www.bigskyfilmfest.org/schedule/2016-schedule/2016/02/24

//

We’ll post the daily films here and alert you to special events—/happy
viewing!!/

*/------------------------------------------------------------------------------/*

**

  _Today's Events_—Day #6//

//

*Special Events*

No Special Events Today

*DocShop *a 5-day conference for all media makers and enthusiasts.**

*IN 2016 WE ARE FOCUSING ON FILMS FOR CHANGE.*
<http://www.bigskyfilmfest.org/docshop/docshop_2016> The 2016 DocShop
will focus on media activism and documentary film as a catalyst for
positive change.**

**

9:00am

Street SENSE Case Study: DC’s Homeless Telling Their Own Stories
<http://www.bigskyfilmfest.org/festival/events/street_sense_case_study_dcs_homeless_telling_their_own_stories/2016/02/24>
- /UC Theatre///

What happens when we put cameras in the hands of those we endeavor to
understand and ask instead for them to explore themselves? Come
experience the powerful and unique results of Washington D.C.‘s first
homeless filmmaking cooperative and the transformation of cinema into a
public health tool. Speaker: Bryan Bello

11:00am

What Gets Funded? Hearing From the Funders Panel
<http://www.bigskyfilmfest.org/festival/events/what_gets_funded_hearing_from_the_funders_panel/2016/02/24>
- /Holiday Inn/

2:00pm

Historical Documentary & Contemporary Relevance Workshop
<http://www.bigskyfilmfest.org/festival/events/historical_documentary_contemporary_relevance_workshop/2016/02/24>
- /UC Theatre/

3:00pm

So You Want to Be an Impact Producer
<http://www.bigskyfilmfest.org/festival/events/so_you_want_to_be_an_impact_producer/2016/02/24>
- /Holiday Inn/

5:00pm

All the Rage (dir. Michael Galinsky)
<http://www.bigskyfilmfest.org/festival/events/all_the_rage_dir_michael_galinsky/2016/02/24>
- /UC Theatre///

*Wednesday, Feb 24th @ 5:00 pm
Location - UC Theatre *

Screening & Discussion - All The Rage (directed by Michael Galinsky,
Suki Hawley & David Beilinson) is a film about Dr. John Sarno who
pioneered a mind body approach to treating back pain in the 1970’s.  It
is also a personal journey for filmmaker Michael Galinsky, following him
as he seeks to both heal from his own back problems and get to the
bottom of why our culture is so resistant to dealing with the mind body
connection.  The film features interviews with many of Dr. Sarno’s
colleagues and patients including Howard Stern, Jonathan Ames, Dr.
Andrew Weil, Larry David and even includes David’s doppelganger - Bernie
Sanders.  Join us for a work-in-progress screening with feedback Q&A
afterwards. Speaker: Michael Galinsky

8:00pm

DocShop Party
<http://www.bigskyfilmfest.org/festival/events/docshop_party1/2016/02/24> -
/SpectrUM/

**

*_Today's films_**:*

*//*

*/(NEW) /**Lunchtime Films!***

12:00pm, Wilma

Moments of Campaign
<http://www.bigskyfilmfest.org/festival/films-2016-peak/moments_of_campaign>
- /52 minutes/

*Tomás Astudillo, 2015
*/North American Premiere
/*Feature Competition*

Tomás Astudillo followed the Ecuadoran President Rafael Correa during
the 42 days of campaigning that preceded his re-election as head of the
country for the third consecutive time. The “mise en scène” with a
political agenda is the real story of this film, which is also a
meditation via direct cinema on a collective neurosis:  the tenacious
belief in the right man.

12:00pm, Crystal, *SHORT BLOCK!*

Pink Boy
<http://www.bigskyfilmfest.org/festival/films-2016-peak/pink_boy> - /15
minutes/

Thrive <http://www.bigskyfilmfest.org/festival/films-2016-peak/thrive> -
/13 minutes/

Finconceivable
<http://www.bigskyfilmfest.org/festival/films-2016-peak/finconceivable>
- /4 minutes/

Walt <http://www.bigskyfilmfest.org/festival/films-2016-peak/walt> - /6
minutes/

The Boatman
<http://www.bigskyfilmfest.org/festival/films-2016-peak/boatman> - /14
minutes/

Zoe <http://www.bigskyfilmfest.org/festival/films-2016-peak/zoe> - /3
minutes/

1:30pm, Wilma

Operation Popcorn
<http://www.bigskyfilmfest.org/festival/films-2016-peak/operation_popcorn>
- /81 minutes///

*David Grabias, 2015 */
Montana Premiere /

During the Vietnam War, the CIA recruited Hmong tribesmen in the hills
of Laos to fight the Communists, then brought them as refugees to
America. Forty years later in California, someone who might be a CIA
operative approaches a Hmong human rights activist about buying weapons
to continue the fight.

1:45pm, Crystal

Nallua <http://www.bigskyfilmfest.org/festival/films-2016-peak/nallua> -
/76 minutes/

3:45pm, Wilma

Overburden
<http://www.bigskyfilmfest.org/festival/films-2016-peak/overburden> -
/65 minutes///

*Chad A. Stevens, 2015
*/Montana Premiere /

After a mine explosion kills her brother, a pro-coal activist joins
forces with a tree-hugging grandmother to take down the most dangerous
coal company in the United States.

3:45pm, Crystal

All the Difference
<http://www.bigskyfilmfest.org/festival/films-2016-peak/all_the_difference>
- /82 minutes/

4:00pm, Roxy

Born Fighter
<http://www.bigskyfilmfest.org/festival/films-2016-peak/born_fighter> -
/5 minutes/

Life is Grand
<http://www.bigskyfilmfest.org/festival/films-2016-peak/life_is_grand> -
/7 minutes/

Living Like Kings
<http://www.bigskyfilmfest.org/festival/films-2016-peak/living_like_kings>
- /29 minutes/

Thrive <http://www.bigskyfilmfest.org/festival/films-2016-peak/thrive> -
/13 minutes/

6:00pm, Wilma

Pickle <http://www.bigskyfilmfest.org/festival/films-2016-peak/pickle> -
/15 minutes///

*Amy Nicholson, 2015, USA
*/World Premiere
/*Short Competition*

A couple recounts the various animals they have adopted as pets over the
course of their marriage, including a paraplegic possum and a fish that
couldn’t swim. Pickle explores the human capacity to care for all
creatures throughout their sometimes greatly protracted lives until
their occasionally sudden and unfortunate deaths.

The Champions
<http://www.bigskyfilmfest.org/festival/films-2016-peak/champions> - /93
minutes/

6:00pm, Crystal

The Seventh Fire
<http://www.bigskyfilmfest.org/festival/films-2016-peak/seventh_fire> -
/78 minutes/

8:00pm, Top Hat

Who Is Lydia Loveless?
<http://www.bigskyfilmfest.org/festival/films-2016-peak/who_is_lydia_loveless>
- /108 minutes///

*Gorman Bechard, 2016 *

WHO IS LYDIA LOVELESS? Singer/songwriter, alt-country queen, cow punk,
hard rocker? The second coming of Hank Williams or Patti Smith? Or just
a bubbling cauldron of hormones and emotions holding steadfast to the
ideal of keeping rock & roll alive?

8:00pm, Crystal

The Russian Woodpecker
<http://www.bigskyfilmfest.org/festival/films-2016-peak/russian_woodpecker>
- /82 minutes/

8:30pm, Wilma

God Knows Where I Am
<http://www.bigskyfilmfest.org/festival/films-2016-peak/god_knows_where_i_am>
- /97 minutes///

*Jedd Wider, Todd Wider, 2016
Feature Competition*

The body of a homeless woman is found in an abandoned New Hampshire
farmhouse. Beside the body, lies a diary that documents a journey of
starvation and the loss of sanity, but told with poignance, beauty,
humor, and spirituality. For nearly four months, Linda Bishop survived
on apples and rain water, waiting for God to save her, during one of the
coldest winters on record. As her story unfolds from different
perspectives, including her own, we learn about our systemic failure to
protect those who cannot protect themselves.

Download 2016 Program
<http://www.bigskyfilmfest.org/documents/BSDFF-2016-Program.pdf>

*//*

*/See everyone tomorrow!!/*