[MCN] BARK: An Important Lesson from Montana

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Thu Jul 14 12:36:02 EDT 2016

Many thanks, Matt. The answers to the question of
what has really been happening to forest jobs
have seldom been framed in straight talk, so it
was welcome in what you posted. I hope this time
around we can see more of it.

There's some good precedent for it -- some
straight talk about forest jobs showed up in the
Autumn 1984 issue of the UM business journal, the
Montana Business Quarterly. The article by
Charles Keegan pointed out that, just in Montana,
jobs for people working in mills and out in the
woods would be cut by 1000 to 3000, stripping
$20million to $60million consumer spending out of
the Montana economy.

Back then, three decades ago, Keegan's analysis
showed that the loss of jobs would be forced by
an expansion of mechanized operations in the
logging and milling industries.

Why would industry be replacing muscle with
machinery? With the controversial and damaging
boom in taking down big old growth trees coming
to a close, the industry was already buying
machines (e.g., feller-bunchers) capable of
handling the smaller logs that seemed the future
of logging.

Same as today, we have plenty of people who never
got that side of the logging jobs story, and are
still getting stories of conservationists accused
of being the great jobs-destroyers.

Here today, gone tomorrow
Ironically, people in the mills and woods whose
jobs depended on the big trees from old growth
stands were effectively employed in digging
graves for those jobs, and there was at least a
grain of inevitability to it. To actually save
jobs dependent on old growth required saving the
old growth itself, which was what many a Montana
conservationist wanted. There would have been
fewer jobs that way, too, but they would have
been based on an industry offering some long term
value.

Not long after the Montana Business Quarterly
sketched out a prediction of lost jobs, the Wall
Street Journal ran a page one article that said,
to paraphrase for brevity's sake, big timber
companies were rushing into the forests of
Northwest US, planning to get what they could in
a logging boom, then close up shop, get out, and
shift their efforts to the Southeast US.

Lance

"We present responses of a mixed woody-herbaceous
ecosystem type to an extreme event:
regional-scale pinon pine mortality following an
extended drought, and the subsequent herbaceous
green-up following the first wet period after the
drought."

Paul M. Rich, David D. Breshears and Amanda B.
White. PHENOLOGY OF MIXED WOODY-HERBACEOUS
ECOSYSTEMS FOLLOWING EXTREME EVENTS: NET AND
DIFFERENTIAL RESPONSES. Ecology, 89(2), 2008, pp.
342-352 Ó 2008 by the Ecological Society of
America

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

"Habitat loss and deterioration represent the
main threats to wildlife species, and are closely
linked to the expansion of roads and human
settlements."

Aurora Torres et al. Assessing large-scale
wildlife responses to human infrastructure
development. PNAS  Early Edition 7/5/2016
doi: 10.1073/pnas.1522488113
Abstract
http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2016/07/05/1522488113.abstract