[MCN] Tell Tester & Daines: Don't sell out our forests with bad Energy Bill!

Matthew Koehler mattykoehler at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 11:04:09 EDT 2016

*Hello, Please read the action alert below from Friends of the Earth
regarding the pending terrible Energy Bill that’s not only full of
giveaways to the timber industry, but contains other terrible provisions
that benefit King Coal, Big Oil and harm our wildlife and public lands.*

*Unfortunately, this is yet another example of where Senator Jon Tester and
Senator Steve Daines stand together, on the wrong side of important
environmental issues, while groups like Montana Wilderness Association and
Montana Conservation Voters remain silent, failing to alert their
membership because they don’t want to upset Senator Tester. *

*Please TAKE ACTION at this link (*
*http://action.foe.org/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=19878*
<http://action.foe.org/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=19878>*) if
you care about clean energy, climate change, science-based solutions and
our public lands and wildlife.*

*Thanks,*

*Matthew Koehler**WildWest Institute*

*From: *"Ben Schreiber, Friends of the Earth" <foe at foe.org>
*Subject: *
*Tell your Senators: Don't turn our forests into fuel**Date: *June 9, 2016

Right now, Congress is trying to pass an Energy Bill that’s full of
giveaways to the timber industry. It would tell Environmental Protection
Agency scientists to pretend that burning trees for fuel doesn’t hurt the
climate.

The bill could advance to conference any day now, but we can still block
it. We need you to tell your Senators to stand up for our forests, not the
timber industry!

*Tell your Senators that turning our forests into fuel is a terrible plan!*
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=NAytJoBkn4A5Iv34%2F%2FzLlPJ3XnRBMRjV>

This Energy Bill undermines climate scientists everywhere. The science is
clear that burning our forests doesn’t help anyone but the timber industry.
The Senate Energy Bill directs scientists to pretend that’s not true.

That’s right. The Senate -- full of climate deniers who claim they’re “not
scientists” -- is trying to dictate our science policy. And some of our
biggest climate champions went along with it.

If we let them get away with this, what’s next? Will Congress declare that
coal is greenhouse gas-free?

We need your help to stop this before it becomes the new normal!

*Tell your Senators: Don’t undermine climate scientists!*
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=A0bvgm2gAZ4rS72kGwjDU%2FJ3XnRBMRjV>

The science is clear: Burning forests for electricity hurts biodiversity,
belches toxic chemicals, and contributes to climate change. It produces a
lot of carbon -- almost 50 percent more than coal for the same amount of
electricity. But the Senate is telling the EPA to pretend that those
emissions simply don’t exist.

Our Senators are spitting out timber industry talking points to greenwash
this dirty energy source! We cannot let our elected officials ignore
science just because it’s politically inconvenient.

*Tell your Senators: Ignoring science is not okay!*
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=vQsKL9iqm8bKLIBB7lX6gPJ3XnRBMRjV>

This is a question of scientific integrity. The Senate and the timber
industry want everyone to believe that burning wood is a renewable,
carbon-free source of energy -- which is completely false.

Our biggest climate champions have refused to speak out against this lie.
Why? Because burning whole trees for power could mean billions of dollars
in the pockets of the timber industry -- and more campaign contributions --
at the expense of our air, our health, and our climate.

*Act NOW and don’t let your Senators sell out our forests to the timber
industry!*
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=q9Av7%2BoJpJN7EskXCxvPfvJ3XnRBMRjV>

We can still stop the Senate’s dirty Energy Bill from becoming law. But the
timber industry isn’t going to give up easily. They are already eyeing the
appropriations process as an opportunity to stop us from considering their
climate impacts. We need your help to tell your elected officials to stand
up for science.

*Stand up for our forests and our climate and tell your Senators not to
give in to the timber industry!*
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=qbqCqerojqem9e76cRpv1PJ3XnRBMRjV>

*Standing with you,*
*Ben Schreiber,*