[MCN] Big Money in Politics Overturning Citizen United - A Special Presentation - June 23rd.

CB Pearson cbpearson at mrss.com
Tue Jun 14 19:27:23 EDT 2016

For Immediate Release: 14 June 2016

Contact: C.B. Pearson, 406-544-0032

*A Special Montana Presentation:*

Building the Base to Overturn “Citizens United”:

How We Pass the 28th Amendment to the US Constitution.

June 23rd 7:00 to 8:30pm – Missoula – University of Montana Law School Room
101

Background

The role of money in politics is dominating the national debate. Here in
Montana we understand better than most the role of corporate money in
politics given the history of our state. We Montanans have continually
acted to address the problem of big money implementing a number of policies
that address PACs, large contributions and so-called Dark Money.  We
understand that fair elections are not a partisan issue, as proven by the
overwhelming support from voters. Montanans of all stripes – independents,
Libertarians, Republicans and Democrats - want fair elections, free of the
corrupting influence of big money and campaign money from corporations. In
2012, Montana voters strongly endorsed I-166, the Prohibition on Corporate
Contributions and Expenditures in Montana Elections Act, by a three-to-one
margin. The measure also received majority support from the voters in each
of Montana’s 56 counties. With the I-166 vote, 75% of Montana’s voters
called for an amendment to the U.S. Constitution clarifying that:

§  The rights under the United States Constitution are the rights of human
beings, not corporations; that

§  Money is property, not speech; and that,

§  There should be a level playing field in campaign spending that allows
all individuals, regardless of wealth, to express their views to one
another and their government.

Special Speakers for This Presentation:

*Retired Montana Supreme Court Justice James C. Nelson* – Board member of
Free Speech for People and member of the National Advisory Board for
American Promise.  Justice Nelson was appointed to Montana's Supreme Court
in 1993 by Governor Marc Racicot, then elected in 1994, 1996 and 2004, and
retired after 19 years in 2012.  Since retirement, he has been a recipient
of the Montana Trial Lawyers Public Service Award, 2013; the Montana
American Civil Liberties Janette Rankin Award, 2013; and the American Bar
Association Stonewall Award, 2014.

*Jeff Clements is president of **American Promise*
<http://www.americanpromise.net/>* and co-founder of **Free Speech for
People* <http://www.freespeechforpeople.org/>. He works with Americans all
over the country for a 28th Amendment to secure the American Promise:
Constitutional rights for all human beings; voting rights and
representation as equal citizens; and our responsibility for effective
self-government. He is the author of Corporations Are Not People:
Reclaiming Democracy From Big Money And Global Corporations
<http://corporationsarenotpeople.com/>, and his articles and opinion pieces
have appeared widely (US News & World Report, The Hill, The Boston Globe,
Fox News, American Constitution Society, Salon, among others).

*Montana Host Committee: *

*American Promise*

*Free Speech for People*

*C.B. Pearson, Treasurer for Initiative 166 Stand with Montanans
(Attending) (Speaker)*

*Anthony Johnstone*

*Evan Barrett*

*Rep. Frank Garner (R) (Attending) (Speaker)*

*Rep. Christy Clark (R) *

*Former Montana Secretary of State Bob Brown (R)  (Attending)*

*Former Montana AG and Current Governor Steve Bullock (D) *

*Co-sponsored by:  *

*Common Cause Montana*

*Stand with Montanans*

*MontPIRG*

*American Constitution Society Law Student chapter at the University of
Montana Law School*

*Move to Amend – Missoula *

*Montana Trial Lawyers Association*

*For more information go to:  **http://www.standwithmontanans.org/*
<http://www.standwithmontanans.org/>

*C.B. Pearson *

Senior Vice President

[image: Photo]

P.O. Box 5800 | Missoula, MT 59806

406-549-2848 ext.1 (o) | 406-544-0032 (m) | cbpearson at mrss.com

www.mrss.com | Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/MRCampaigns> | Twitter
<http://twitter.com/mrcampaigns>

*Our Missoula office has moved!*

As of April 15, 2016, you can find us at:

526 E. Front Street | Missoula MT 59802
Telephone numbers remain the same.