[MCN] Northern Rockies Ecosystem Protection Act

Matthew Koehler mattykoehler at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 10:53:07 EDT 2016

Thanks for the post about NREPA and science Lance.

Here’s something else that popped right out in that Montana Public Radio
story on the Northern Rockies Ecosystem Protection Act.

*"The Montana Wilderness Association declined our invitation for a taped
interview." - Montana Public Radio*

That pretty much says it all, doesn't it? I mean, with a staff of 24
people, including a beefy communications/PR team, the Montana Wilderness
Association can't even get on air with Montana Public Radio to let the
people of Montana know their opinions about the Northern Rockies Ecosystem
Protection Act, a bill that would essentially protect the remaining
roadless wildlands in our region and also protect important wildlife
corridors?!?

What’s ironic is that MWA opposes NREPA, but won’t even extend the courtesy
to Montana citizens of being interviewed by Montana Public Radio, you can
go to MWA’s Facebook page and right now they are promoting new research
that reveals key wildlife corridors in the U.S. See: http://bit.ly/1Wrhsg0

MWA claims the wildlife corridors in Montana are “places were working to
protect” but the truth is that MWA has worked together with the timber
industry to try and dramatically increase public lands logging, including
more logging with some of these wildlife corridors on the
Beaverhead-Deerlodge National Forest, Lolo National Forest and Kootenai
National Forest.

Furthermore, if you look at the wildlife corridor map resulting from the
new research (http://bit.ly/1Wrhsg0) you’ll see that the map essentially
goes hand-in-glove with the roadless areas and wildlife corridors that the
Northern Rockies Ecosystem Protection Act would, in fact, protect.

Regarding the timber industry’s Julia Altemus, I’d challenge her to come up
with one shred of science that found or advocates for not protecting the
remaining roadless wildlands in our region or protecting important wildlife
corridors.

The public can get more detailed information about the Northern Rockies
Ecosystem Protection Act (including detailed maps) here:
http://bit.ly/1YuyXeR.

It's also worth pointing out that NREPA has 7 co-sponsors in the U.S.
Senate, while the House version of NREPA, which was re-introduced last
year, currently has 37 co-sponsors.

*TAKE ACTION! Tell Montana’s Congressional Delegation to Support NREPA.*

EMAIL Senator Tester here: https://www.tester.senate.gov/?p=email_senator

EMAIL Senator Daines here: https://www.daines.senate.gov/connect/email-steve

EMAIL Rep Ryan Zinke here: https://zinke.house.gov/contact/email