[MCN] Sustainable groundwater --> sustainable trout

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Tue Mar 1 15:01:27 EST 2016

Ecology of Freshwater Fish - Early View (Online
Version of Record published before inclusion in
an issue)
Article first published online: 14 DEC 2015
DOI: 10.1111/eff.12267

Projected impacts of climate change on stream
salmonids with implications for resilience-based
management
Andrew K. Carlson, William W. Taylor, Kelsey M.
Schlee, Troy G. Zorn andDana M. Infante
"As baseflow index (i.e., relative groundwater
input) increased, stream thermal sensitivity
(i.e., relative susceptibility to temperature
change) decreased."

Abstract
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/eff.12267/abstract

The sustainability of freshwater fisheries is
increasingly affected by climate warming, habitat
alteration, invasive species and other drivers of
global change. The State of Michigan, USA,
contains ecologically, socioeconomically valuable
coldwater stream salmonid fisheries that are
highly susceptible to these ecological
alterations. Thus, there is a need for future
management approaches that promote resilient
stream ecosystems that absorb change amidst
disturbances. Fisheries professionals in Michigan
are responding to this need by designing a
comprehensive management plan for stream brook
charr (Salvelinus fontinalis), brown trout (Salmo
trutta) and rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss)
populations. To assist in developing such a plan,
we used stream-specific regression models to
forecast thermal habitat suitability in streams
throughout Michigan from 2006 to 2056 under
different predicted climate change scenarios. As
baseflow index (i.e., relative groundwater input)
increased, stream thermal sensitivity (i.e.,
relative susceptibility to temperature change)
decreased. Thus, the magnitude of temperature
warming and frequency of thermal habitat
degradation were lowest in streams with the
highest baseflow indices. Thermal habitats were
most suitable in rainbow trout streams as this
species has a wider temperature range for growth
(12.0-22.5 °C) compared to brook charr
(11.0-20.5 °C) and brown trout (12.0-20.0 °C).
Our study promotes resilience-based salmonid
management by providing a methodology for stream
temperature and thermal habitat suitability
prediction. Fisheries professionals can use this
approach to protect coldwater habitats and
drivers of stream cooling and ultimately conserve
resilient salmonid populations amidst global
change.

"'Friends," said he, 'the taxes are indeed very
heavy, and, if those laid on by the government
were the only ones we had to pay, we might more
easily discharge them; but we have many others,
and much more grievous to some of us. We are
taxed twice as much by our idleness, three times
as much by our pride, and four times as much by
our folly  ....   "

"Away then with your expensive follies, and you
will not then have so much cause to complain of
hard times, heavy taxes, and chargeable families
....  "

"Here you are all got together at this sale of
fineries and knick-knacks. You call them goods;
but, if you do not take care, they will prove
evils to some of you."

Benjamin Franklin, "The Way to Wealth" (1758).
[The classic Franklin summary of his advice from Poor Richard's Almanac.]
http://www.swarthmore.edu/SocSci/bdorsey1/41docs/52-fra.html