[MCN] Char Miller Book Reading -- May 19, 4:00-5:30 -- UM School of Forestry

Greg M Peters peters.gregorym at gmail.com
Fri May 13 10:57:17 EDT 2016

The Bolle Center for People and Forests at the University of Montana and
the National Forest Foundation are hosting award-winning author, Char
Miller, for a discussion and reading from Miller’s new book:* America’s
Great National Forests, Wildernesses and Grasslands*.

Miller is the W.M. Keck professor of Environmental Analysis at Pomona
College.  He is in Missoula promoting the coffee-table book that celebrates
America’s National Forests and Grasslands. Miller is also the award-winning
author of *Gifford Pinchot and the Making of Modern Environmentalism*.

*Miller will discuss his book and National Forest history during a
one-and-a-half-hour presentation at UM’s School of Forestry Building, Room
106, from 4:00 to 5:30 pm. This all-ages event is free and open to the
public. *

*America’s Great National Forests, Wildernesses and Grasslands* is
comprised of Miller’s essays about 30 iconic National Forests and
Grasslands and stunning photographs by Tim Palmer. Together, the essays and
photos celebrate the amazing 193-million-acre National Forest System that
stretches from Puerto Rico to Alaska.

“I’m excited to be in Missoula, which is surrounded by National Forests,”
said Miller. “I know how much these amazing landscapes mean to Montanans
and look forward to talking with residents about these special public
lands.”

For more information, please visit http://www.cfc.umt.edu/bolle/

*America’s Great National Forests, Wildernesses and Grasslands* description
on Amazon.com

The outdoor enthusiast’s dream bucket list is embodied in this illustrated
celebration of our greatest national forests, from Alaska to Florida. For
more than a century, America’s national forests have proved an
environmental gift and cultural treasure, our spectacular backyard. Under
the management of the U.S. Forest Service, this system of public lands
encompasses 193 million acres of mountains, prairies, rivers, and
canyons—much of it undiscovered, but accessible for hiking, kayaking,
fishing, and winter sports. Officially published in collaboration with the
Pinchot Institute for Conservation, this book features thirty notable
national forests—while also celebrating more than one hundred different
national forests in forty-four states—from the White Mountains of New
Hampshire to the Olympics of Washington. Unlike the national parks,
Americans can use these lands for all manner of recreation, truly earning
these tremendous resources the moniker of "America’s backyard." This book
is a treasure for all readers who use and cherish these lands.

--
Greg M. Peters
www.gregmpeters.com