[MCN] 2 critiques of "growth" economics

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Sat May 21 10:56:44 EDT 2016

Why the Economy Should Stop Growing-And Just Grow Up
David Korten posted May 04, 2016
http://www.yesmagazine.org/planet/why-the-economy-should-stop-growing-and-just-grow-up-20160504

1st 2 paragraphs

Listen to the political candidates as they put
forward their economic solutions. You will hear a
well-established and rarely challenged narrative.
"We must grow the economy to produce jobs so
people will have the money to grow their
consumption, which will grow more jobsŠ" Grow.
Grow. Grow.

But children and adolescents grow. Adults mature.
It is time to reframe the debate to recognize
that we have pushed growth in material
consumption beyond Earth's environmental limits.
We must now shift our economic priority from
growth to maturity-meeting the needs of all
within the limits of what Earth can provide.

http://www.yesmagazine.org/planet/why-the-economy-should-stop-growing-and-just-grow-up-20160504

*************************************************************************************************************
"The first commandment of economics is: Grow.
Grow forever. Companies get bigger. National
economies need to swell by a certain percent each
year. People should want more, make more, earn
more, spend more -- ever more."

Donella Meadows. Just So Much And No More. Yes magazine June 30, 2001
http://www.yesmagazine.org/issues/reclaiming-the-commons/437

"Once we finally reach a decision we are relieved
to have the uncertainly of decision making behind
us. And now somebody turns up and tells us things
that call the wisdom of that decision into
question again." (pp. 99-100)

Dietrich Dorner. The Logic of Failure:
Recognizing and Avoiding Error in Complex
Situations.
1989 in German by Rowolt Verlag GMBH.
1996 in English by Metropolitan Books, Perseus Books.