[MCN] ACLU MT - Hiring a Legal Fellow (2-Year Position)
Michellec at aclumontana.org
Thu Aug 10 15:51:03 EDT 2017
The ACLU of Montana is currently accepting <https://www.aclumontana.org/en/news/legal-fellow-2-year-position> applications<https://www.aclumontana.org/en/news/legal-fellow-2-year-position> <https://www.aclumontana.org/en/news/legal-fellow-2-year-position> for a two year legal fellow position. As mentioned in the job posting, this program is designed to help attorneys in the early stages of their careers to develop into thoughtful, professional, and effective advocates skilled in the various phases of public interest litigation. Please forward this email to attorneys you think would be a good fit encouraging them to apply by August 23rd.
The American Civil Liberties Union of Montana (ACLU of Montana) invites applications for a full-time Legal Fellow based in Missoula to begin immediately.
This is a two-year position. This program is designed to help attorneys in the early stages of their careers to develop into thoughtful, professional, and effective advocates skilled in the various phases of public interest litigation. The Legal Fellow will work under the supervision of the Legal Director.
Founded in 1972, ACLU of Montana, the statewide affiliate of the national ACLU, is a private, non-profit organization dedicated to defending the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.
This is a remarkable opportunity for a committed attorney to be a team player at the premier civil liberties and civil rights legal organization in Montana. Reporting to the Legal Director, the Legal Fellow will work on a wide range of constitutional issues to bring about systemic change through impact-driven litigation for the ACLU of Montana. This position will allow the Legal Fellow to develop a range of skills through independent work with clients and government entities while also supporting the Legal Director in cases involving LGBTQ protections, criminal justice reform, jail conditions, privacy, and racial justice (among other issues).
Candidates are advised that the ACLU does not engage in any routine family law or criminal law litigation.
* Work closely with legal staff (Legal Director, Paralegal, and Clinical Students or Interns), other ACLU staff, and clients to investigate, develop, and prosecute cases;
* Investigate and litigate select civil liberties/civil rights cases, including factual investigation, legal research and analysis, drafting pleadings and briefs, discovery, and motions practice in state and federal courts;
* Review, comment on, or write amicus briefs;
* Respond to complaints and requests for legal representation;
* Visit correctional institutions on occasion to meet with and interview prisoners;
* Prepare legal memoranda and demand letters;
* Collaborate with and provide legal support for other ACLU of Montana staff and programs in the promotion of integrated advocacy;
* Collaborate with national ACLU partners;
* Collaborate with communications staff in drafting press releases, op-eds, and articles for newsletter, website, social media, and other outlets.
* Law school graduate by fall of 2017. Admission to, or willingness to apply for admission to, the Montana State Bar and Ninth Circuit;
* Excellent research, writing, and oral communication skills;
* Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with lawyers, other staff members, volunteers, and community organizations;
* Deep commitment to and passion for the advancement of civil rights and liberties;
* Demonstrated ability to manage, prioritize, and meet numerous deadlines and diverse responsibilities in a timely and professional manner;
* A team-building, collaborative, and positive manner;
* Experience working with diverse communities;
* A commitment to diversity and respect for differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, ability, and socio-economic circumstance.
* Familiarity with the operation of state and local government;
* Knowledge of state and federal constitutional law;
* Litigation experience, including appellate experience;
* Knowledge and familiarity with the criminal justice system;
* Ability to communicate complex legal issues in the courtroom and to the public.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary range available upon request: email michellec at aclumontana.org<mailto:michellec at aclumontana.org>. Excellent benefits provided include paid vacation, medical insurance, 401k retirement plan, and paid holidays.
All applications are treated confidentially. Submit a letter of interest; resume; two relevant professional writing samples of no more than 20 pages in total (e.g., memoranda of law or demand letters demonstrating research, writing, and legal analytical skills); salary requirements; and three professional references, identifying their relationship to you and including their email addresses and phone numbers. Email your application to Michelle Cares, Office Coordinator, at michellec at aclumontana.org<mailto:michellec at aclumontana.org> or mail it to:
ACLU of Montana, Attn: Michelle Cares
P.O. Box 9138, Missoula, MT 59807
Please put "Legal Fellow" in the subject line of your email or on your envelope. Also, please indicate in your letter of interest where you saw this job posting.
Application review will start August 23rd. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The ACLU of Montana is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU of Montana encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Missoula-Community-News