[MCN] Are environmentalists too lame to deal with climate change?

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Mon Aug 14 14:47:47 EDT 2017

Excerpts: “Yet no prominent national leader — environmental or otherwise — has come out publicly to suggest that the recent spate of hurricanes was the result of global warming. That’s in part due to the fact that the conventional wisdom among environmentalists is that we mustn’t frighten the public but rather must focus its gaze on technical solutions, like hybrid cars and fluorescent light bulbs.”

"At what point have we become Pollyanna fearing that we’ll be called Chicken Little?”

"It’s time to ask: has the U.S. environmental community’s work over the past 30 years laid the groundwork for the economic, cultural and political shifts that we know will be necessary to deal with the crisis?”

"So long as the siren call of denial is met with the drone of policy expertise — and the fantasy of technical fixes is left unchallenged — the public is not just being misled, it’s also being misread. Until we address Americans honestly, and with the respect they deserve, they can be expected to remain largely disengaged from the global transformation we need them to be a part of.”

"Those of us who are children of the environmental movement must never forget that we are standing on the shoulders of all those who came before us.
"The clean water we drink, the clean air we breathe, and the protected wilderness we treasure are all, in no small part, thanks to them. The two of us have worked for most of the country’s leading environmental organizations as staff or consultants. We hold a sincere and abiding respect for our parents and elders in the environmental community. They have worked hard and accomplished a great deal. For that we are deeply grateful.

"At the same time, we believe that the best way to honor their achievements is to acknowledge that modern environmentalism is no longer capable of dealing with the world’s most serious ecological crisis."

http://grist.org/article/doe-reprint/ <http://grist.org/article/doe-reprint/>

“The gap between high- and low-income families has widened steadily
since about 1980, hitting a new high every year since 1985. “

Business Week, November 21, 1994, p. 72.

“...many scientists say deep emissions cuts are necessary … to prevent …
dangerous consequences of global warming.

"Getting from here to there would require a massive economic shift.”

Rachel Pannett and Jeffrey Ball. “Australia Approves Energy Bill.”
The Wall Street Journal  p.A7, August 21, 2009