[MCN] 2 quick references : Animals at risk, what we buy, & climate change

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Mon Dec 25 10:43:12 EST 2017

"We linked 25,000 Animalia species threat records from the International Union for Conservation of Nature Red List
to more than 15,000 commodities produced in 187 countries and evaluated more than 5 billion supply chains in terms
of their biodiversity impacts. Excluding invasive species, we found that 30% of global species threats are due to international
 trade. In many developed countries, the consumption of imported coffee, tea, sugar, textiles, fish and ... manufactured
items causes a biodiversity footprint that is larger abroad than at home."

M. Lenzen, D. Moran, K. Kanemoto, B. Foran, L. Lobefaro & A. Geschke.
International trade drives biodiversity threats in developing nations.
Nature  7 June 2012 doi:10.1038/nature11145

"The global shipping industry is continuing to release more and more greenhouse gas emissions by the year,
according to a new study released by the International Council on Clean Transportation (ICCT).

"The findings are the result of an analysis utilizing 'state of the art' global ship operations (AIS) data, along
with detailed vessel characteristics relating to over half a million ships — collectively used to estimate
greenhouse gas emissions and air pollution released by shipping “at high resolution (1° x 1°) on an hourly
basis for the years 2013 to 2015.”

CleanTechnica Oct 24 2017
https://cleantechnica.com/2017/10/24/icct-shipping-industrys-greenhouse-gas-emissions-rise/