[MCN] Add mining to industries threatened by climate change

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Wed Feb 8 16:27:56 EST 2017

The world's top mining companies warned on Tuesday that assets will
be stranded and investors will walk away unless they deal with water
scarcity in key mining regions such as Africa, Australia and Latin
America.

After the hottest global year on record in 2016, water has shot up
the agenda at mining board meetings.

"Investors say to us: 'don't talk to us about returns'; they want to
know how we're managing water," Nick Holland, Chief Executive Officer
of Gold Fields, said at an international mining conference in Cape
Town

<http://www.reuters.com/article/us-africa-mining-water-idUSKBN15M26S>http://www.reuters.com/article/us-africa-mining-water-idUSKBN15M26S
Related:
<http://www.circleofblue.org/2016/world/unearthing-water-risks-global-mining-industry/>http://www.circleofblue.org/2016/world/unearthing-water-risks-global-mining-industry/
"I have simply tended to be negative about booms," investments guru
Marc Faber told Asiaweek magazine in a February 2001 interview,
because booms "easily turn into bubbles that become bigger and go
bust."
In a July, 2001 editorial, The Economist said that "It is no
coincidence that the deepest and most protracted recessions in recent
decades have taken hold in countries that experienced booms ..."
That same month, Barron's columnist Gene Epstein said easy money
"helps bring boom and bust in the first place" by throwing money at
"unsustainable projects."