[MCN] Confirmed, again: Drought is tough on forests

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Thu Feb 23 12:07:36 EST 2017

UNIVERSITY OF STIRLING Public Release: 22-Feb-2017
Forests worldwide threatened by drought
Forests around the world are at risk of death due
to widespread drought, University of Stirling
researchers have found.
JOURNAL
Ecology Letters
FUNDER
The Leverhulme Trust

Ecology Letters First published: 21 February 2017
Tree mortality across biomes is promoted by
drought intensity, lower wood density and higher
specific leaf area
Sarah Greenwood et al
"Our results illustrate the value of functional
traits for understanding patterns of
drought-induced tree mortality and suggest that
mortality could become increasingly widespread in
the future."

Abstract
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/ele.12748/abstract;jsessionid=B3C21B334BA77C0EB37EC34006A3B198.f02t03

Drought events are increasing globally, and
reports of consequent forest mortality are
widespread. However, due to a lack of a
quantitative global synthesis, it is still not
clear whether drought-induced mortality rates
differ among global biomes and whether functional
traits influence the risk of drought-induced
mortality. To address these uncertainties, we
performed a global meta-analysis of 58 studies of
drought-induced forest mortality. Mortality rates
were modelled as a function of drought,
temperature, biomes, phylogenetic and functional
groups and functional traits. We identified a
consistent global-scale response, where mortality
increased with drought severity [log mortality
(trees trees"1 year"1) increased 0.46 (95% CI =
0.2 0.7) with one SPEI unit drought intensity].
We found no significant differences in the
magnitude of the response depending on forest
biomes or between angiosperms and gymnosperms or
evergreen and deciduous tree species. Functional
traits explained some of the variation in drought
to 37% when wood density and specific leaf area
were included). Tree species with denser wood and
lower specific leaf area showed lower mortality

--
  =-------------------------------------------------------------===----------------------------------------------------------------=
"Proponents of the loan push notion suggest that

William Darity and Bobbie Horn. The Loan Pushers:
The role of commercial banks in the international
debt crisis. 1988. Ballinger Publishing Company,
a subsidiary of Harper & Row.
=---------------------------------------------------------------==----------------------------------------------------------------=
"In the early 1990s Š. Tommy Mullaney, eleven, of
Crownsville, Maryland, returned home from camp in
the summer of 1990 to find his name inscribed on
a MasterCard complete with a $5,000 credit line.
' I jumped up and down and said Wow - the
hologram was cool,'  Tommy told the Washington
Post. 'But it sure made me wonder who was running
that bank'."

James Grant. Pp. 436-437, "Afterword: End of the
Line," Money of the Mind: Borrowing and Lending
in America from the Civil War to Micheal Milken.