[MCN] Habitat for Humanity Open House and Home Dedication tomorrow!

Frankie Feinstein frankie at habitatmsla.org
Wed Jan 25 11:31:36 EST 2017

Tour our 50th and 51st homes in Missoula!

Habitat for Humanity of Missoula invites the public to an Open House for our
50th and 51st homes in Missoula County on Thursday, January 26th from Noon -
5:00 PM.

Located at 2215 and 2217 Burlington Avenue, staff and volunteers will be
present at the event to answer questions and show off the craftsmanship and
handiwork of more than 450 community volunteers including individuals,
Missoula businesses, organizations, service groups and faith communities.
These two homes are the first of what will be several homes Habitat for
Humanity will be constructing in the Franklin to the Fort neighborhood
throughout the next few years.

2217 Burlington is a cozy two-bedroom that was designed by students of a Big
Sky High School Architectural Design class, the first collaboration of this
nature for Missoula Habitat, while 2215 is a split-level, three-bedroom home
situated on the northern end of the lot.

Both structures boast practical amenities for the families they will
shelter. Habitat houses are modestly-sized; large enough for the homeowner
family's needs, but small enough to keep construction and maintenance costs
to a minimum. Habitat for Humanity uses quality, locally available building
materials and our house designs reflect the neighborhood we are building in.
The labor of volunteers and partner families, efficient building methods,
modest house sizes and no-profit loans make it affordable for low-income
families to purchase Habitat houses.

With each new home, Habitat for Humanity also incorporates as many
sustainable, or "green" building practices as possible, with an emphasis on
energy efficiency. The typical Habitat home built in Missoula uses 25 to 30
percent less energy than a current minimum code built home.

Since creating our first home in 1991, Habitat for Humanity of Missoula has
now constructed 51 simple, durable, and affordable homes through
partnerships with eligible Missoula families and thousands of local
volunteers. Built into the foundations, walls and rafters of every one of
our homes is the love and good will of the community these partnerships have
brought together.

We built our first American Disabilities Act (ADA) home in 2010, and all
homes since are built with Visit-Ability features, including

.         One entry door with no steps

.         Wider hallways

.         32" of clear passage through all interior doors, including
bathrooms

.         One main floor bathroom

A dedication ceremony for 2215 Burlington will take place for the Berry
family at 5:30 PM, following the open house.

Habitat for Humanity of Missoula offers the opportunity of homeownership and
asset-building through simple, decent, affordable and energy efficient homes
for low-income families in Missoula County.  We offer no-interest, no-profit
mortgages, and a mortgage payment that is significantly less than what most
of our partner families pay in rent.

For more information, call us at 549-8210 or visit
<http://www.habitatmsla.org> www.habitatmsla.org.

  frankie feinstein

Volunteer Coordinator

Habitat for Humanity of Missoula