[MCN] Taking rivers' temperatures as we crank up the heat

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Fri Jun 2 11:03:01 EDT 2017

Understanding a river's 'thermal landscape' may be the key to saving it
AMERICAN INSTITUTE OF BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES
Inexpensive sensor technologies have enabled an explosion in the availability of river temperature data and in statistical models for understanding them. These new data and tools are enabling a deeper understanding of the important role of fluctuations in a river's thermal regimes that will enable more effective ecosystem management and restoration.

JOURNAL
BioScience
 <https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2017-06/aiob-uar060217.php>https://academic.oup.com/bioscience/article-lookup/doi/10.1093/biosci/bix047 <https://academic.oup.com/bioscience/article-lookup/doi/10.1093/biosci/bix047>

"I wonder whether the process ordinarily referred to as growing up is not actually a process of growing down; whether experience, so much touted among adults as the thing children lack in, is not actually a progressive dilution of the essentials by the trivialities of living."

Aldo Leopold. A Sand County Almanac. 1949, p.120