[MCN] Polar Bear/Beluga Whale trips with the Great Bear Foundation

Shannon Donahue gbf at greatbear.org
Fri Jun 9 16:26:36 EDT 2017

The Great Bear Foundation is offering arctic ecology field courses in
Churchill, Manitoba, the "polar bear capital of the world" this August
13-21 and October 29-November 4, open to the public.

For the month of June, Montana residents are eligible for 10% off
registration fees for the AUGUST trip--just mention this email.

We have only one space remaining on our October/November trip, but will
keep a waiting list in case of cancellations. Our November 5-13 trip is
sold out.

Both field courses include roundtrip train travel from Winnipeg or Canora,
MB, accommodations and meals in Churchill, and course tuition. Days are
spent in the field, observing wildlife and visiting natural history and
cultural sites, exploring tundra, taiga and the beaches of Hudson Bay.
Evenings include educational programming, guest speakers, and hopefully
some northern lights. Accommodations are 16 miles out of town at an arctic
research and education facility, in the heart of polar bear habitat.

The summer trip is timed to coincide with when the beluga whales have
their calves in the Churchill River, and the fall trip coincides with the
peak polar bear migration, just before the sea ice forms. This is a small
group, family-friendly experience.  All proceeds benefit our bear
conservation programs.

All participants are eligible for Continuing Education Units (CEUs) from
Salish Kootenai College for no extra cost. Fall trip participants have the
option to take the course for 3 undergraduate or graduate credits in
Environmental Studies through the University of Montana School of Extended
and Lifelong Learning, with additional coursework, at no extra cost.

For more information, visit http://greatbear.org/field-courses/ or contact
our offices in Missoula or Haines, Alaska.

Great Bear Foundation
Northern Office
PO Box 1616
Haines, AK 99827