[MCN] US opinion on climate change: County by county

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Mon Mar 6 15:17:17 EST 2017

Climate Opinion :Estimated % of adults who think global warming is
happening, 2016
US county-by-county maps
http://climatecommunication.yale.edu/visualizations-data/ycom-us-2016/

"Scholars and commentators have recently begun to highlight how
multiple, simultaneous, and interacting global stresses, such as
demographic pressure, climate change, resource scarcities, and
financial instability, are increasing global systemic risk
(Beddington 2009, OECD 2011, WEF 2012, Helbing 2013, Pamlin and
Armstrong 2015).

"They often describe the situation that humanity faces now and in
coming decades as a "perfect storm" of simultaneous crises (Sample
2009, Ahmed 2011, Ehrlich and Ehrlich 2013, Morgan 2013). Although
evocative, this phrase implies that the crises align solely by
chance. We argue rather that their simultaneity is a manifestation of
an underlying causal pattern that is becoming more prevalent, and we
elaborate a conceptual framework that provisionally describes this
pattern."

Synchronous failure: the emerging causal architecture of global
crisis. Ecology and Society 20(3): 6. [open access]
http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol20/iss3/art6/