[MCN] DYK: Forest Service has met 87% of their timber sale volume target over the past 15 years

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Wed May 17 14:35:11 EDT 2017

Thanks for this, Matthew. This perspective on logging and politics makes an important contribution.

I’d just add one observation; given recent years’ several studies indicating that forests in the western US have been showing signs of failure to recover from fire — thanks to drought  — we likely have good reason to ask the promoters of logging if our region’s forests can recover from logging. Forest recovery from fire and logging have long been taken for granted, but that assumption is looking increasingly questionable.

> On May 17, 2017, at 11:09 AM, Matthew Koehler via Missoula-Community-News <missoula-community-news at bigskynet.org> wrote:
>
> In spite of what you hear from Senator Tester, Senator Daines and most Montana politicians, the timber industry and even some conservation groups...
>

> U.S. Forest Service’s Northern Region has met 87% of their timber sale volume target over the past 15 years
>
> Posted by Matthew Koehler on 17 May 2017
>
> http://forestpolicypub.com/2017/05/17/u-s-forest-services-northern-region-has-met-87-of-their-timber-sale-volume-target-over-the-past-15-years/ <http://forestpolicypub.com/2017/05/17/u-s-forest-services-northern-region-has-met-87-of-their-timber-sale-volume-target-over-the-past-15-years/>
>
> <timber targets.png>
>
> If you listen to most western politicians – regardless of political party – talk about the U.S. Forest Service’s timber sale program you’ve likely heard them describe it as a failure. Many of these same politicians give the general public the impression that next to zero logging is taking place on America’s national forests because of countless lawsuits from “extremists” and “obstructionists.”
>
> The other day, to dig a little deeper into this issue, I contacted the U.S. Forest Service Northern Region’s public affairs officer. I told her I wanted to compare the annual timber sale volume attained by the U.S. Forest Service in Montana and north Idaho with the timber sale volume targets set by the U.S. Forest Service, which are based on the funding the agency receives from Congress.
>
> After the Forest Service’s public affairs officer and myself shared a chuckle about how terrible the U.S. Forest Service’s websites are, especially if you want to explore some of these issues in more detail, I was directed to this website (http://bit.ly/2qSoVLV <http://bit.ly/2qSoVLV>).
>
> I was told, “Look at the Periodic Timber Sale Accomplishment Report (PTSAR) reports. The 4th quarter of each year is the final report for that particular fiscal year. Line T and Line U give the planned and completed targets.”
>
> So, that’s what I did to come up with the chart above. There’s lots of ways to look at those numbers I suppose. One way is to say that overall, during the past 15 years, the U.S. Service in the Northern Region has attained 87% of their timber sale volume targets, which again are based on funding from Congress. 87% seems like a solid B, if we were grading papers in school, and far from a failing grade.
>
> Another way to look at those numbers is that in 7 of the past 15 years the U.S. Forest Service has attained between 94% and 117% of their timber sale volume targets. When is the last time you heard a U.S. senator or representative from Montana or Idaho celebrate and share numbers like this with the general public?

> [...]

"… the race between climate dynamics and  climate policy will be a close one ….” and
“ … requires an industrial revolution for sustainability starting now."

Hans Joachim Schellenhuber.“Global warming: Stop worrying, start panicking?”
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. September 23, 2008
“Human society has yet to appreciate the implications of unprecedented species redistribution for life on Earth,
including for human lives. Even if greenhouse gas emissions stopped today, the responses required in human
systems to adapt to the most serious effects of climate-driven species redistribution would be massive.”

Pecl et al. 2017. Biodiversity redistribution under climate change: Impacts on ecosystems and human well-being
Science. 31 March 2017