[MCN] Comms Internship for ACLU of MT (unpaid)

Michelle Cares Michellec at aclumontana.org
Tue Nov 21 18:44:13 EST 2017

Hey, Missoula,
Please send along this position listing to the enterprising communications student in your life. Thanks!
Team ACLU MT
________________
The American Civil Liberties Union of Montana seeks a talented Communications Intern to help with storytelling and sharpen our creative capacity. The Communications Intern will report to the Communications Strategist and work in collaboration with the entire ACLU of Montana team, including other staff members, supporters, and clients and communities impacted by the our work.
The internship will provide opportunities to hone skills in nonprofit communications, including writing, editing, coordinating publications, participating in new media, and creating multimedia projects. We are happy to work with interns and their education institution to receive academic credit for their time with us. This is an unpaid internship.
We expect the internship will be built on accomplishing specific projects, rather than a set number of hours per week, and are open to the person being based in either our Missoula or Helena office.
RESPONSIBILITIES

*        Work with clients, supporters, and communities to amplify their stories and the ACLU of Montana's work through a creative outlet. This could include, for example, video, photos, blogs, or graphic design.

*        Assist the Communications Strategist with newsletters, reports, website content, blog posts, and other content.

*        Help maintain and refine press lists.

*        Other duties determined by the needs of the Communications Strategist and ACLU-MT.
QUALIFICATIONS

*        Interest in and commitment to civil liberties and civil rights. Much of our work focuses on racial justice and the decriminalization of poverty; please emphasize in your application if you have experience in these areas.

*        Experience working with individuals to help elevate their stories; experience working with communities of color, LGBTQ individuals, or other marginalized communities a plus.

*        Excellent research, writing and communications skills

*        Self-motivated, conscientious, professional, receptive to instructions, attentive to detail, and unafraid to ask questions

*        Talent and passion for some form of creative outlet, which could include video, photography, graphic design, and more.

*        Preferably have professional or volunteer experience, as well as interest, in any of the following fields: civil rights, nonprofits, communications, journalism, media relations, marketing or other editorial professions

*        The ideal candidate would be a junior or senior in college, but enterprising sophomores and freshmen will be considered.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE
All applications are treated confidentially. Submit 1) a letter of interest, 2) your resume 3) a relevant professional  writing sample of no longer than 5 pages, 4) a few examples of your creative work (e.g. link to a blog or web site, graphic design samples, e-portfolio, a campaign plan, etc.), and 5) three professional references, identifying their relationship to you and including their email addresses and phone numbers.
Email your application to Katie Beall, communications strategist, at media at aclumontana.org<mailto:media at aclumontana.org>.
Please put "Communications Intern" in the subject line of your email. Also, please indicate in your letter of interest where you saw this posting.
DEADLINE
Applications will be reviewed beginning the week of November 27, 2017 and will be accepted until the position is filled. We anticipate doing in-person interviews the weeks of December 4th and 11th.
The ACLU of Montana is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU of Montana encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.

Michelle Cares | Office Coordinator
American Civil Liberties Union of Montana
PO Box 1317, Helena, MT 59624  |  PO Box 9138, Missoula, MT 59807
Office 406.443.8590 | michellec at aclumontana.org<mailto:michellec at aclumontana.org>
Because Freedom Can't Protect Itself | www.aclumontana.org<http://www.aclumontana.org/>