[MCN] U.S. Forest Service's huuuuge post-fire logging plans for Montana

Matthew Koehler mattykoehler at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 13:23:47 EST 2017

Hello,

Just making everyone aware that the U.S. Forest Service is currently
planning to cut down up to 370 million board feet of trees in a number of
post-fire logging projects on various National Forests in Montana.

What does 370 million board feet of trees cut down look like?

It would require 74,000 log trucks lined up for 630 miles to haul out that
volume of cut down trees from our National Forests. Essentially someone
could drive Interstate 90 from Lookout Pass, Idaho to Miles City, Montana
and log trucks would be lined up, bumper-to-bumper the entire way.

Keep in mind that all this proposed post-fire logging is in addition to the
normal federal timber sale program on our National Forests.

Also, all this post-fire logging will be 'fast-tracked' with limited
environmental analysis and no chance for concerned citizens to file an
objection.

TAKE ACTION. Please call U.S. Forest Service's Regional Forester Leanne
Martin at 406-329-3315 and let her know your opinion on all this industrial
logging coming down the pipeline.

Stay tuned for more information.

Thanks,
Matthew Koehler