[MCN] U.S. Sheep Experiment Station -- Friday's Fast Fact

John Meyer John at cottonwoodlaw.org
Fri Oct 20 11:05:39 EDT 2017

Today's fast fact is brought to you by Cottonwood <http://cottonwoodlaw.org>,
a group of free-thinking rabble rouses dedicated to protecting the people,
forests, water, and wildlife of the West. FN 1.

Before we give you today's fast fact let's recap what we've learned this
week:

- The Agricultural Research Service, a federal agency within the USDA,
operates a research facility on the Montana/Idaho border known as the U.S.
Sheep Experiment Station.
- The Sheep Station historically grazed thousands of domestic sheep across
16,000 acres of Montana's Centennial Mountains.
- The Continental Divide Trails runs through the 16,000 acres of Sheep
Station land.
- Sheep guard dogs have chased <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW2dou_GsAs>
at least one hiker on the CDT.
- Grizzly bears have chased the sheep herders in the past to protect the
carcasses of the sheep they have killed.
- The Obama Administration tried to permanently end domestic sheep grazing
in the Centennials.
- U.S. Senator Steve Daines passed two appropriations riders keeping the
possibility of sheep grazing in the Centennials open.
- The Trump Administration has indicated it wants to end domestic sheep
grazing in the Centennials.

Today's Fast Fact:

- A grizzly bear collar was found
<https://missoulanews.bigskypress.com/IndyBlog/archives/2014/06/23/environmental-groups-file-suit-citing-disappearance-of-griz-726-on-sheep-station>
in a stream under a rock and a log on Sheep Station property...

Tune in next week for more fast facts!

Footnote 1:  Cottonwood is looking for sponsors for next week's fast facts.
Please contact me if you are interested.

--

<http://www.cottonwoodlaw.org>

John Meyer
Executive Director & General Counsel
Cottonwood Environmental Law Center
P.O. Box 412 Bozeman, MT 59771
John at Cottonwoodlaw.org
(406) 546-0149

The information contained herein is privileged and confidential. If you are
not the intended recipient, you must delete this email and inform the
sender of the error.

www.cottonwoodlaw.org