[MCN] JRPC is sponsoring a special tour of South Vietnam Feb 22 to March 9, 2018.

Jeannette Rankin Peace Center peace at jrpc.org
Mon Oct 23 16:15:13 EDT 2017

For Immediate Release

*The Jeannette Rankin Peace Center is sponsoring a special tour of South
Vietnam with trip leaders Marilyn Marler and Carla Abrams Feb 22 to March
9, 2018.*

Contact: Betsy Mulligan Dague, peace at jrpc.org, 543-3955
or Marilyn Marler, marilyn.marler at umontana.edu <marilyn.marler at mso.umt.edu>

The Jeanette Rankin peace center is excited to be sponsoring a tour that
explores conservation and building relationships in South Vietnam. Part of
our mission as an organization has been to educate the community about
issues around the world. This trip is a great way to do just that and we
are excited to be able to help make it possible.

Join the JRPC on a 13-day hiking and biking adventure in the Dong Nai
Biosphere Reserve in southern Vietnam, February 22 to March 9, 2018, led by
Carla Abrams and Marilyn Marler of Missoula.

The Vietnam-American war was 40 years ago.  How did the war and its
aftermath affect forests and wildlife? What is life like for modern day
Vietnamese people?  While Vietnam has a booming economy and incredible
nature, they are confronted with a conservation crisis due to the illegal
wildlife trade and incredible pressure on land to meet housing and
agricultural needs.

Carla Abrams, co leader of the Vietnam trip has been to Vietnam 3 times
over the past few years, and worked as a tourism and conservation
consultant in the Dong Nai Biosphere Reserve. "Vietnam is a beautiful
country. The latest Biosphere reserve was created to bring livelihood to
the local communities and enhance the conservation of the environment and
wildlife. Our goal was to design tourism that shared nature, adventure,
culture, and highlighted the wonderful hospitality of the Vietnamese
people. I am really looking forward to sharing this experience with our
tour group."

This is not a typical tourist trip.  We will be with our Vietnamese hosts
every day, learning from their extensive knowledge and sharing their
hospitality. Accommodations are often rustic, and the food is authentic.

A taste of our adventure:

•        Sharing wonderful local food, drink and culture with our hosts
•        Biking and hiking through forests, villages and wetlands with
local guides
•        Exploring beautiful Con Dao Island, formerly a prison and now a
seldom-                          visited national park
•        Helping to prepare meals at a homestay with silk worm farmers
•        Looking for rare primates and more in Cat Tien National Park
•        Learn about the life and career of Vietnamese game wardens
•        Sleep in a hammock and wake up to the sound of gibbons singing

For more information on this trip (including pricing), go to
www.jrpc.org/vietnam2018

*Space is extremely limited, and the deadline to register is December 15*.
Marilyn Marler Marilyn.marler at umontana.edu<mailto:Marilyn.
marler at umontana.edu>

Betsy Mulligan-Dague, Executive Director
Jeannette Rankin Peace Center
...working to build a world that is nonviolent, socially just and
environmentally sustainable...
519 S. Higgins
Missoula, MT 59801
Phone: 406-543-3955