[MCN] Fwd: Hike for the Places We Love

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Tue Sep 19 18:40:39 EDT 2017

> On Sep 19, 2017, at 11:58 AM, Holly Seymour via Missoula-Community-News <missoula-community-news at bigskynet.org> wrote:
>

> Hike for the places we love
>

> Yay for clean(er) air!  Celebrate the return of hiker-friendly weather by joining Environment Montana and your neighbors for a Hike for the Places We Love!  Bring your kiddos, your walking shoes, and your love of public lands to Waterworks Hill on Wednesday, 9/27 at 4 P.M.
>
> Our beloved public lands are under threat by climate change; snow pack is reduced, stream flows are lessened, our wildlife is experiencing habitat loss, and wildfire seasons are getting longer and more severe! Not to mention outdoor recreation is being threatened; shorter ski seasons, longer fishing restrictions, fewer big game kills, and fewer clear days under our beautiful big Montana sky.
>
> Our greatest line of defense against these threats are the EPAs climate change programs, which must be fully funded in order to best protect our public lands from climate change.  Show your support for these programs and your love of Montana’s outdoor fun by joining us for a fun group hike up Waterworks Hill. Bring a friend, pose for a photo, and send the message that we care about our public lands!
>
> When: Wednesday, September 27th, 4 P.M.
> Where: Waterworks Hill (meet at the trailhead, look for the climate change banner pictured above)
> What: A short group hike to show our support for the programs that protect our public lands from climate change
> Who: Anyone and everyone! Family-friendly.
> Why: Climate change is threatening our public lands and our outdoor recreation!
>

> Please share as you can! See you there.
>

> --
> Holly Seymour
> Campaign Organizer, Environment Montana
> hseymour at environmentmontana.org <mailto:hseymour at environmentmontana.org>
> (406)223-6837 <tel:(406)%20223-6837>-----------------
> Missoula Community News: An announcement list for the progressive, alternative and nonprofit communities in Missoula and Western Montana.

>   mailto:missoula-community-news-request at bigskynet.org?subject=subscribe
> Want a human?
>   mailto:listadmin at wildrockies.org

"Around 30% of the world’s population is currently exposed to climatic conditions exceeding this deadly threshold for at least 20 days a year. By 2100, this percentage is projected to increase to ∼48% under a scenario with drastic reductions of greenhouse gas emissions  …”

“We do not quantify human deaths per se because the extent of human mortality will be considerably modified by social adaptation (for example, use of air conditioning, early warning systems, and so on18–20). Although social adaptation could reduce the exposure to deadly heat18–20, it will not affect the occurrence of such conditions. Given the speed of climatic changes and numerous physiological constraints, it is unlikely that human physiology will evolve the necessary higher heat tolerance21,22, highlighting that outdoor conditions will remain deadly even if social adaptation is broadly implemented. “

Mora et al. Global risk of deadly heat. Nature Climate Change. Published online 19 June 2017
DOI: 10.1038/NCLIMATE3322