[MCN] Climate Change: Business to government: Get off your B*tt

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Sun Dec 16 17:12:32 EST 2018

World Economic Forum

An open letter from business to world leaders: “Be ambitious, and together we can address climate change”
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/11/alliance-ceos-open-letter-climate-change-action/

Excerpts:

This open letter is to be released ahead of the 24th Conference of the Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) by the World Economic Forum on behalf of the Alliance of CEO Climate Leaders.

Climate change is a major threat to our environment, societies and economy, endangering our well-being and prosperity. But a prosperous, inclusive and low-carbon world is possible.

We urge and support world leaders to:

a) implement effective carbon pricing mechanisms that drive a meaningful price <https://www.carbonpricingleadership.org/report-of-the-highlevel-commission-on-carbon-prices/> *** on carbon across the globe

b) stimulate low-carbon finance and investments by offering coherent policies that shift financial flows from high-carbon investments to the low-carbon economy, thereby encouraging innovation, as well as adaptation investments

c) develop policy tools that help educate and positively influence societal demand for low-carbon solutions

These actions and incentives, facilitated by governments and backed by continued innovation in science and technology, will enable business to create jobs and economic value during the shift to a sustainable and socially responsible, low-carbon economy. This in turn will enable governments to set more ambitious climate targets.

The shift to low-carbon economies will be positive for communities and workers, future-pr

"For decades, we called it ‘global warming,’ an innocuous-sounding phrase invoking a gentle increase in worldwide temperatures, like turning up the thermostat in a house.”

https://www.seas.harvard.edu/content/from-sea-to-rising-sea-climate-change-in-america