[MCN] Imagine climate change without dystopia

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Sun Dec 30 10:29:30 EST 2018

Science and Culture: Imagining a climate-change future, without the dystopia <https://www.pnas.org/content/115/51/12832>

“Futures planning” workshops are trying to plan for and devise ways for communities to cope, adapt, and thrive in the face of climate change.

Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences
[ open access ]
https://www.pnas.org/content/115/51/12832 <https://www.pnas.org/content/115/51/12832>

“We are constantly deciding how much information is enough.” (p. 44)

“Once we finally reach a decision we are relieved to have the uncertainly of decision making behind us.
And now somebody turns up and tells us things that call the wisdom of that decision into question again.”
(pp. 99-100)

Dietrich Dorner. The Logic of Failure: Recognizing and Avoiding Error in Complex Situations.
1989 in German by Rowolt Verlag GMBH.
1996 in English by Metropolitan Books, Perseus Books.