[MCN] How does social media impact our wild places?

Vladimir Kustanovich vladimir.kustanovich at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 10:32:53 EDT 2018

 Join the Shining Mountains Chapter on Tuesday, June 19th at Opportunity
Resources Inc. as we examine and discuss the challenges and ethical issues
facing wilderness areas arising from increased exposure on social media.
With many wilderness areas seeing remarkable increases in use, correlated
with widespread exposure on social media, the wild experience that so many
seem to be seeking is altered. Crowded campsites, improperly buried human
waste, and other impacts become more common. Land managers are faced with
the difficult decision of having to implement permits, quotas, or other
restrictions on access. More people visiting wilderness areas is something
to celebrate, but when we all visit the same place—thus impacting the
"outstanding opportunities for solitude" described by the Wilderness
Act—issues of ethics and appropriate management arise. Diving into the data
and documentation of social media’s increasing impact on wilderness areas
exposes us to a sobering perspective on the real-world impacts of our
digital behavior. MWA Explores Social Media and Wilderness: Impacts and
Ethics Tuesday, June 19th 7-8pm at Opportunity Resources Inc. 2821 S.
Russell St, Missoula, MT 59801.

Vladimir Kustanovich
Shining Mountains Chapter Board Member
406-544-5947