[MCN] ACLU MT - Hiring a Communications Director - spread the word?

Michelle Cares Michellec at aclumontana.org
Fri Jun 29 15:53:54 EDT 2018

Hello Missoula,

The ACLU of Montana is now hiring<https://www.aclumontana.org/en/jobs/communications-director> a senior level Communications Director. This is an opportunity for a visionary professional to build on the success of the premier civil liberties and civil rights organization in Montana.

Thank you.

ACLU MT

COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR JOB POSTING

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Montana seeks a Communications Director to lead its Communications Department. This is an opportunity for a visionary professional to build on the success of the premier civil liberties and civil rights organization in Montana.

The Communications Director develops and oversees a strategic communications program to promote the ACLU of Montana’s work, expand the public’s understanding of civil rights and civil liberties, and attract and engage loyal supporters in their defense. The Communications Director reports to the Executive Director and plays a key leadership role in helping to shape the ACLU of Montana’s work and organizational development. The Communications Director works in close coordination with the Advocacy and Policy, Legal, and Development departments and supervises the Communications Strategist.

This position is guaranteed for two years, with future years contingent upon sufficient funding. The Communications Director will preferably be based in Missoula; applicants who need to be based out of our Helena office will be considered.

BACKGROUND

The ACLU of Montana (founded in 1972) is an affiliate of the national ACLU (founded in 1920) and operates as a private, non-profit organization.  We are the state’s largest and most influential civil rights organization, combining litigation, policy advocacy, communications, and organizing tactics to promote a broad range of individual rights and liberties. Our current top priorities are Indigenous justice, criminal justice reform, LGBTQ equality, and immigrants’ rights. We work on a range of additional issues including reproductive justice, voting rights, freedom of speech and religion, and informational and digital privacy.

The ACLU of Montana maintains a fast-paced and friendly work environment, with a current staff of 12 and offices located in downtown Helena and Missoula. To learn more about the work of the ACLU of Montana, please visit http://aclumontana.org<http://aclumontana.org/>.

COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION

ACLU of Montana is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We believe that having a board, staff, and volunteer base with diverse personal and professional backgrounds enhances our ability to meet our mission and creates an environment where all members of our community can thrive. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, Indigenous people, immigrants, women, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ community, those who have been formerly incarcerated or are currently under supervision, and other underrepresented and historically marginalized groups.

The ACLU of Montana does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, or record of arrest or conviction. We are committed to providing a work environment free from discrimination and harassment. Our work environment is friendly, with flexibility and consideration of personal needs and circumstances.

RESPONSIBILITIES

  *   In coordination with Executive Director and other staff, develop an overall strategic communications plan designed to help the ACLU of Montana communications program accomplish its mission.
  *   Develop multi-faceted communications plans and strategies to educate, motivate, and influence target audiences and support legal, policy, and advocacy initiatives.
  *   Raise the profile of the ACLU of Montana and build excitement about its work.
  *   Oversee all communications and outreach, including press releases, editorial statements, press conferences, web content, social media, talking points, fact sheets, newsletters, and reports.
  *   Develop contacts and cultivate strategic media relations with print, radio, television, and online journalists.
  *   Elevate the stories of marginalized populations, especially Indigenous people.
  *   Supervise and mentor the Communications Strategist.
  *   Support the Executive Director by assisting with preparation on rapidly changing and controversial issues, including drafting talking points, summaries, and speeches.
  *   Provide communications leadership, mentoring, and training to staff, clients, and other spokespersons.
  *   Additional special projects and events as assigned.

REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS

  *   Strong leadership skills.
  *   Excellent research, writing, and oral communication skills.
  *   Experience creating a strategic plan for a department, campaign, or program.
  *   Successful project management experience, including shepherding projects from inception to completion.
  *   Experience working collaboratively across departments or disciplines.
  *   Successful professional experience in a combination of the following areas: media, strategic communications, digital communications, and/or public relations.
  *   Demonstrated ability to create content that is accessible and understandable to a wide range of audiences, including translating complicated legislative, legal, and policy concepts.
  *   Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with other staff members, lawyers, clients, volunteers, and coalition partners.
  *   Experience managing, prioritizing, and meeting numerous deadlines and diverse responsibilities in a timely and professional manner.
  *   A profound and well-articulated commitment to social justice and the preservation and advancement of civil rights and liberties.
  *   A profound and well-articulated commitment to equity and inclusion, and respect for differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, ability, and socio-economic circumstance.
  *   Ability to travel and attend events as needed.

PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS

  *   Experience working in a social justice or civil rights organization.
  *   Understanding of a broad range of civil liberties issues and strategies.
  *   Experience with the legislative process, political strategic planning, ballot measure campaigns, field organizing, and/or impact litigation as a public policy tool.
  *   Familiarity with event planning.
  *   Demonstrated success with creating and executing a brand awareness campaign that includes measurable results, such as list-building.
  *   Experience living or working in Indigenous communities is a plus.
  *

COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS

The salary range for this position is $70,000 - $76,000. Excellent benefits offered, including health and dental insurance, short and long-term disability and life insurance, 401(k) retirement plan, and generous vacation, holiday, family and medical leave policies.

APPLICATION PROCEDURE

All applications are treated confidentially. Please submit:
1.     A letter of interest of no more than one page.
2.    Resume.
3.    Two relevant professional writing samples of no more than 15 pages in total, preferably including one project plan and one example of storytelling.
4.    Up to three additional communications or media samples, such as short videos, graphic design, or social media posts (optional).

Email your application to Michelle Cares, Office Manager, at michellec at aclumontana.org<mailto:michellec at aclumontana.org> or mail it to:

ACLU of Montana, Attn: Michelle Cares, P.O. Box 9138, Missoula, MT 59807

Please put “Communications Director” in the subject line of your email or on your envelope. Also, please indicate in your letter of interest where you saw this job posting.

DEADLINE

Application review will start July 12, 2018. Applications after that date are encouraged and will be accepted until the position is filled.

To learn more about the work of the ACLU-MT, please visit www.aclumontana.org<https://www.aclumontana.org/en>.