[MCN] McKibben: Alas, it's time to taking to the streets a la Extinction Rebellion

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Sun Apr 14 12:55:13 EDT 2019

“I think it’s crazy that we have to do this in order to get politicians to act on the greatest crisis we face but manifestly we do,” said Bill McKibben <https://www.theguardian.com/profile/mckibben-bill>, the co-founder of climate group 350.org <http://350.org/> and a Guardian contributor who estimates he has been put in handcuffs “seven or eight times”.

“Nonviolent direct action is never an end in itself, but carefully used it underlines the moral urgency of the moment. I think it mostly needs to become bigger, everywhere. And dramatic action – conducted with care, so that people aren’t turned off – has a serious role to play in that.”

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/apr/13/extinction-rebellion-heads-to-america-climate-change-protest <https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/apr/13/extinction-rebellion-heads-to-america-climate-change-protest>

"Ignorance of remote causes disposeth men to attribute all events to the causes immediate and instrumental: for these are all the causes they perceive."

Thomas Hobbes

Chapter XI. Of the Difference of Manners. Hobbes, Thomas. 1909-14 ...
https://www.bartleby.com/34/5/11.html <https://www.bartleby.com/34/5/11.html>