[MCN] Climate Change (Part 5)

John Meyer john at cottonwoodlaw.org
Fri Aug 30 12:25:26 EDT 2019

Yesterday we talked about introducing federal legislation that would remove regulatory caps on the amount of renewable energy that businesses can store on the grid. Allowing more energy to be stored on the grid will decrease energy bills for businesses, increase their profits, and reduce consumption of fossil fuels. Installing solar panels and wind turbines for the businesses will create new jobs.

Education

The federal government owes a serious debt. If the government was a human being the credit card would be shut off.

Where can the federal government stop spending money and address climate change in Montana? Public lands.

The federal government is bleeding money by allowing livestock to graze on public lands. Livestock on public lands makes a significant contribution to climate change.

Livestock grazing in the Gravelly Mountains is responsible for the deaths of grizzly bears, which is keeping the bears on the list of threatened and endangered species.  This article <https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/news/environment/grizzlies-force-closure-in-the-gravelly-range/article_3ccae1dc-7b63-53aa-9259-c9a464d2d3f4.html> in today’s Chronicle talks about bears getting into cows.

Conversation Starter

- Do you think the livestock industry is ripping off the public by privatizing our private lands and killing our threatened wildlife?
- Have you ever found yourself swearing after hopping a barb-wire fence on public lands and finding a hole in your expensive gore-tex pants?
- Do you think the federal government should raise the costs to graze livestock on public lands to market rates?
- Do you think livestock should begin to be removed from public land to address climate change and protect threatened species?

John Meyer
Executive Director & General Counsel
Cottonwood Environmental Law Center
P.O. Box 412 Bozeman, MT 59771
John at Cottonwoodlaw.org
(406) 546-0149

The information contained herein is privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you must delete this email and inform the sender of the error.

Like what we're doing? Click here <http://www.cottonwoodlaw.org/#donate> to donate.