[MCN] The Historical Museum needs your help to Save Missoula's Engine #7

Jessie Rogers jrogers at missoulacounty.us
Mon Dec 9 15:16:04 EST 2019

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D5AE92.5A74A5F0]

Join the Historical Museum & your community as we come together to save the oldest known Willamette Steam Engine in the nation!
Visit https://fortmissoulamuseum.org/support/save-the-train/ for a more in-dept look into the history of this unique engine and to make a gift today. Or send a check to the Historical Museum at Fort Missoula t 3400 Captain Rawn Way; Missoula, MT 59804.

A Brief Story of Engine #7’s Adventures:

Business was brisk in 1923 for William Andrews Clark’s Western Lumber Co. at Milltown, MT.   They already had a 1920, 60-ton Shay Locomotive built by Lima Locomotive Works, but they needed another “Shay” or “geared logging locomotive”.

On January 10, 1923, Willamette started the construction of an engine to be delivered to Arthur Spur, MT on May 10. It would become Western Lumber Company’s Engine #3.

In 1928, the Anaconda Co. purchased Western Lumber Co., from Clark’s heirs Clark passed away in 1925). The Willamette Engine #3 was part of this sale. It was renumbered to #7 as the seventh logging locomotive Anaconda operated. Engine #7, as it was now known, became a staple locomotive for Anaconda.

By 1948, trucks had developed enough to be a very dependable mode of transportation for logs, so Anaconda stopped railroad operations in the woods. Anaconda’s logging locomotives were scraped except for #5, a Shay & our Willamette #7.

In 1954, along came “Hollywood”. Republic Pictures wanted to make a motion picture about rival logging companies. Set in Montana’s forests & mountains, #7 fit the bill to take a staring roll. Anaconda crews dusted it off, oiled it up, & it was off to the movies. After filming, #7 was placed back in storage, but Anaconda decided to put #7 on display at Bonner Park next to the sawmill.

By the mid 1980’s Champion Lumber (the corporate successor of Anaconda) donated Engine #7 to the Historical Museum at Fort Missoula, & the locomotive was trucked to the Fort for display.

Why is Missoula’s Engine #7 Unique?
·         Oldest known surviving Willamette Locomotive in the Nation.
·         Spent its life in our mountains and valleys, never traveling more than 80 miles from Missoula.
·         Hollywood Movie Star when it played a leading role in the 1954 Timber Jack!
·         Only Willamette originally built to burn coal as a fuel.
·         The ONLY locomotive left from Western Lumber Co.
·         One of two surviving locomotives from Anaconda Lumber Co. and the only one in Montana.
·         This Engine represents a once bustling industry that shaped Missoula and Western Montana.

Visit https://fortmissoulamuseum.org/support/save-the-train/ for a more in-dept look into the history of this unique engine and to make a gift today. Or send a check to the Historical Museum at Fort Missoula t 3400 Captain Rawn Way; Missoula, MT 59804.
[cid:image006.jpg at 01D5AE92.5A74A5F0]

Phase 1: Build the Display Shed
The “protective” shed is designed to protect the artifact & enhance the visitor experience. Preserving #7 keeps our history alive & assures future generations will understand why this place is so special. We need you to join this community project by making a gift today. DONATE today and DOUBLE your impact for the project with a dollar to dollar match up to $13,000!
✓ Protect #7 from weather damage
✓ Built of materials representing the timber industry
✓ Creates the ability for visitors to tour both outside & inside the cab
✓ Includes interpretive signage showcasing mechanical & historical aspects of #7
✓ Provides year around access for visitors
The “Shed” will be an open timber structure so visitors can photograph Engine #7 from all angles & allow for easy access while restoration work is underway.
Build the Engine #7 Display Shed:

     *   $60 = ALL THOSE NUTS & BOLTS!
     *   $70 = POST & POLES (lots of them)
     *   $100/ea. = CONCRETE PIERS (6)
     *   $700 = METAL ROOFING MATERIALS
     *   $1,000 = LIGHTING & ELECTRICAL
     *   $6,000 = FRAME THE SHED!
Let's raise $27,000 to build the Display Shed! Once Phase 1 is complete, we will move forward with a full restoration!

Phase 2: Restoration!
For 30 years, locals & tourists alike have marveled at our Willamette Locomotive.  Unfortunately, the harsh winters & blazing summers have battered the engine & taken off a bit of its shine. #7 turns 100 in 2023. Let's celebrate the life of this Montana Icon by restoring it in time to celebrate its Centennial birthday!
With plans in hand we need to raise $100,000 to restore its shine!
Adopt Part of Engine #7:

     *   $60/ea. = BUY A BOILER TUBE (190)
     *   $350 = PURCHASE A WINDOW (11)
     *   $700 = ADOPT THE STEAM GAUGE
     *   $750/ea. = BUY A CAB DOOR (2)
     *   $6,000 = RESTORE THE STACK
Cover the Cost of Restoration Materials:

     *   $25 = SANDPAPER
     *   $50 = GREASE & OIL
     *   $75 = LOCOMOTIVE PAINT
     *   $100+ = STEEL FOR PART FABRICATION
Visit https://fortmissoulamuseum.org/support/save-the-train/ for a more in-dept look into the history of this unique engine and to make a gift today. Or send a check to the Historical Museum at Fort Missoula t 3400 Captain Rawn Way; Missoula, MT 59804.

Jessie Rogers
Development & Communications Director
Historical Museum at Fort Missoula
406-258-3479

“While we are living in the present, we must celebrate life every day, knowing that we are becoming history with every work, every action, every deed.”  ---  Mattie Stepanek

Messages and attachments sent to or from this e-mail account may be considered public or private records depending on the message content. Unless otherwise exempted from the public records law, senders and receivers of County email should presume that the emails are subject to release upon request. This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this transmission, please notify the sender immediately, do not forward the message to anyone, and delete all copies.