[MCN] The Green New Deal Is Unrealistic? Get Real

Lance Olsen lance at wildrockies.org
Mon Feb 11 12:14:51 EST 2019

Bloomberg February 11, 2019, 6:13 AM MST
 <https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion>
Opinion <https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion>

Politics & Policy
The Green New Deal Is Unrealistic? Get Real
It’s an attention-grabbing mission statement at the start of a long and necessary battle.
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-02-11/the-green-new-deal-is-unrealistic-get-real <https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-02-11/the-green-new-deal-is-unrealistic-get-real>

By Liam Denning <https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/authors/ASe2HvynvWg/liam-denning>

Closing paragraph:If the GND’s ambition is a testament to anything, it is that there are no easy solutions here.
We have built our standard of living on forms of energy that we now know pose a threat to our very existence.
That is a simple summation of a monumental challenge; one where time has eroded our margin for incremental
action. No matter what you think of the specifics, or lack of them, this is a conversation that is long overdue -
 and necessarily begins with a shout, not a whisper.

"The most likely way the climate could be influenced by either natural or artificial means seems to be
through a trigger mechanism that ultimately changes the radiation balance ....  the burning of fossil
fuels would presumably lead to more absorption of long-wave terrestrial radiation in the atmosphere
and consequently to greater heating."

Abraham Oort.  "The Energy Cycle of the Earth," Scientific American. September 1970

“The molecule of carbon dioxide has strong absorption bonds, particularly in the infrared region of the spectrum at
wavelengths of from 12 to 18 microns. This is the spectral region where most of the thermal energy radiating from
earth to space is concentrated.

"By increasing the absorption of this radiation ... the carbon dioxide reduces the amount of heat energy lost by
earth to outer space.".”

Singer, Fred S. "Human Energy Production as a process in the biosphere.”
Scientific American, September 1970.